Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RalphDog
New Member!
Male 

03-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Hi
We had a baby - then approx 12months later we got Ralph our Miniature Dachshund - best thing we ever did. They are great together...
Ralph is now 2 and Isaic is now 3 and half.
We have just had our second child Elliot and he is 3 months old.. Ralph has also taken to him and been amazing.

Having Ralph around the house is a great companion for the kids and I cant wait for Elliot to be a little older so he can play with Ralph and Isaic properly
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Looks like the one post wonder has left the building. Perhaps she didn't get the answer she wanted.
kpupper
New Member!
Male 

08-08-2017, 06:07 AM
Dogs can be amazing companions and great stress relievers among people, but it seems that your committing too alot with already have two cats to take care of and trying to conceive a baby. If you think u can handle the responsibility of raising both and spending the necessary about of foods and other stuff on them, then go ahead, but if not its probably best to lay off when your in a much more comfortable place in life.
DaleCooper
New Member!
Female 

08-09-2017, 10:29 PM
At first, when I read your post, I was behind a no. But then I realized that you presumably really, really want this dog. Otherwise, you wouldn't ask this question.
I think that two new home-dwellers at the same time wouldn't be a good idea and I won't change my mind. Especially if you want a puppy. It will be more time-consuming than taking care of an adult dog. On the other hand, it's widely known kids develop much better if there is a dog in the household. And risk of allergy is lower too. So perhaps you should adopt a puppy first and stop trying to get pregnant for some time? And continue when your dog will be old enough. It depends on how strong are your dog cravings, how old are you and what are your priorities in life.
Have you thought of adopting an adult dog?
Some people wrote that you should have a baby first and then adopt a puppy. And that's a great idea too. The only person who can find the best solution is yourself.
ShaeShae
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the others, as you are trying to get pregnant, you still have time to get pregnant and have your puppy trained. If it's a training issue maybe look into adopting a young dog as oppose to a new puppy. There are so many young dogs that are awesome companions. I got a puppy right after I had a c section with my son (she was my first real rescue and is a lab/Aussie/chow mix) I got her at 6 months old she wasn't trained at all and actually terrified to walk through a door way. However after a week with her and the new baby things worked out awesome. Although a mix of high energy breeds she's pretty lazy but super protective of me and my little ones. I also have 2 cats and recently rescued a mix off the side of the road who was 5 weeks old. I have Luna and Godric and a 18month old. I have to spend time in hospitals sometimes too but for other reasons and we are all fine. I feel safer with my dogs as my husband works all day and has to leave often for weekends and training. I regret nothing. I feel like having a dog around helps with alot of things. Yes there's alot of responsibility and such but to me it's completely worth it. Just my opinion and personal story though.
gezilecekyerler
New Member!
Male 

19-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Absoulty yes Good idea, Carole.
Interstellar
New Member!
Male 

22-09-2017, 12:53 AM
Since you seem to have several hurdles in the way but obviously still desire a dog in your life... might I suggest fostering a nice, even tempered adult dog through a reputable rescue?

That way you would get to appreciate the joy and companionship a dog may bring, without the long term obligation. You can always decide to get a dog of your own if and when you decide you're ready at a later date.
Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
In the meantime, you could always satisfy your dog cravings by offering to help out at a rescue centre. As a kid I wasn't allowed to have a dog and that is what I did.
There is a Greyhound rescue centre near to us now and they have mass walks at weekends, everyone seems to enjoy themselves.
That's a wonderful suggestion! I'm from the U.S. so I'm not sure if any of your rescues or shelters have a fostering program or not. I fostered for 4 yrs between losing Zeus and getting Otis and I absolutely loved it!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2