Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reala
New Member!
Male 

13-11-2016, 10:16 PM

Runt Concerns

My partner and I wanted a pure pug, but because of where we live (rural area) there are very few around. A few days ago, some Pug cross Chihuahua appeared in the local paper so we went along today to investigate.

We viewed 6 Pug x Chihuahua and then there was the 'runt' of the litter there too. He was smaller, slower and less strong than its siblings by about 50% I would estimate. It was very cute, it loved human company and if you called it it would run to you (pretty impressive at 8 weeks).

I've fallen for him, I know I shouldn't... I know I should go with the big chunky one, the bold one that loved to play or the more relaxed one who took things in his stride, but being quite an experienced dog owner I feel that he has potential to be a really lovely dog.

HOWEVER, I'm also very aware that pugs, chihuahuas and runts can all have health issues and I could be diving into a world of pain should I take him. I should say that the owner has taken the little guy to the vets twice and the vet has said in terms of the rate he is gaining weight, the way he is on solid food at under 8 weeks and his responsiveness (although a little slow) is all positive and he doesn't have any immediate concerns.

Does anyone have any experience with runts that could warn me off or push me into giving the little guy a shot in our family?

Note: I am not 'for' designer breeds. However, the fact the owner said this was an accidental breeding and is set to get both dogs neutered / spayed once the puppies are gone and the timing of the females biology allows, made me feel better about it.

Thank you in advance everyone
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Depends what you want in a dog. Yes the big bold one that runs to you is (in theory) the'best' one. However I always look out for the smaller one, as they are (in my experience) the one most likely to be a lovely family dog, wonderful with children and very kind. As for being on solid at nearly 8 weeks,well I would hope so. My pups start on minced chicken or turkey at 3 weeks. Don't fall for puppy milk either, the mother has usually finished feeding them by 6 weeks, some of them try to get the odd suck here and there, by then mum is cheesed off with them and chases them off. One of my other girls takes over as nanny dog around 4 weeks and generally sees to them, mum comes to feed and check them over and thats about it. The smaller ones I feed separately, but so they can see their litter mates and they find their feet pretty quickly as they get their fair share of food this way. I start them off feeding from a large dish so I can observe where they are in the hierarchy, keep breaking them into smaller groups, eventually there are 2 more dishes than needed and anyone on Special Measures is fed separately, then allowed out to help clean up the dishes, so they get into the swing of things gradually.
The big bold one can cause no end of trouble when a teenager, not always the best option unless you are specifically looking for that type. As long as they have a clear vet check at 8 weeks of course and you want a nice natured more laid back type then I think you'll probably be fine. That is just my opinion, others may disagree of course. I can only go by my own personal experience
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2016, 10:30 PM
I just read this on the other site and you say the vet thinks he'll be was it 1.75kgs ? that's nothing like a Pug, Pugs are chunky and robust they weigh around 7 kgs not less than two. So he's favouring the chihuahua weight wise. They're all accidental breedings, funny that I have 2 entire female Pugs and an entire male Pug and have managed to avoid any accidents and always will. They could have had the Alizin jab if it was really an accident so I'd take their assurances with a pinch of salt quite frankly. I wouldn't buy a Pug that wasn't extensively health tested there's too much that can go wrong for the pups, and breeders should be doing all they can to give the pups the best start in life. Are you even aware of potential health issues in the two breeds?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Also having a vet declare him healthy doesn't mean he hasn't got health issues, has the adult pug been screened for Hemivertebrae, Pde and hip scored?

I'd save myself a whole lot of heartache and go for a fully health tested pedigree pug.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2016, 06:58 AM
I've always ended up with biggest or second biggest in litter whether by me choosing them or them choosing me. Loki was biggest bitch and second biggest in litter whilst Shadow was biggest by far - tbh I prefer the confident and usually quite at ease with themselves and what's going on around them pups.
I've done what you are thinking about doing, I bought shadow the day after I saw him advertised in the paper because I couldn't see past the puppy cuteness (it's hard we all understand that) but originally I just wanted to see what his cross would look like and then set out tofind the dream of a black GSD. His 'breeders' owned his mother - a very protective going crazy at someone touching her puppies GSD - and their chums owned the father a husky but they had no real knowledge of either breed and I knew I shouldn't but I held Shadow and couldn't leave him. I got lucky. I know for a fact others in his litter didn't turn out like my big gentle boy who at the age of 8 is still going well whilst others have issues behaviour wise and health wise. My advice would be simple I would hold out for what you really want if that's a pure bred pug - go for it and travel the distance - for a good health tested hopefully as heart break free as dogs can be. I've not been stung and I adore Shadow I wouldn't change him for the world but now I couldn't line the pockets of people just breeding because they feel like it.
Best of luck to you
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Probably not what you want to hear, but I would walk away and not look back.

I can only echo what others have said. Hold out for a health tested pug from a reputable breeder who is breeding for health, temperament and longevity. Be prepared to travel for the right puppy. A pug can live 12-15 years and so I believe it is well worth spending the time now doing your homework, finding the right breed, litter, puppy as he/she will, hopefully, be a family member for a long time. You want to stack the odds in your favour of having a healthy, well adjusted adult dog and that starts with finding the right breeder who is breeding for the betterment of the breed and with the health of their pups being at the forefront of their breeding programme.

As Trouble already has pugs, she may be the person to speak to about finding a good breeder.

Good luck.

By the way, I have often found the runt of a litter to be a tough and robust little cookie. After all, they have most likely had to fight for their place at the milk bar from day one, as well as having to deal daily with bigger, stronger litter mates. However, I would not specifically go for a runt and would certainly not go for one from a non health tested, accidental litter no matter how cute.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-11-2016, 10:12 AM
What I would say is a well bred Pug puppy from health tested parents will cost considerably more than the 600 this puppy is going for, you can expect to pay double for a well bred Pug puppy and more. Have you considered a second hand Pug, you should find one for around 600 quid. My Teddy is second hand, I took him on at 7 months, he's well bred and I checked out the breeder just as I would if he was 8 weeks, his previous owner gave me all his documentation even if she did insist he was house trained and he certainly wasn't but hey he's gorgeous.

Teddy boy

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-11-2016, 10:41 AM
£ 600 for a accidental xbreed , your joking right

People have already said it, walk away , if you dont want years of expense and heartache.

Why not stick to your original plan, and look for a well bred pure bred pug , you will have to be prepared to travel, if yo are not prepared to travel for a well bred pup, and you are happy with a xbreed, then go to your local rescue and see what they have.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 03:23 PM
What a stunning pug!! Absolutely gorgeous - he looks so confident and well-balanced, what a little darling!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
What a stunning pug!! Absolutely gorgeous - he looks so confident and well-balanced, what a little darling!
Lol Teddy is my darling, so laid back and yet will happily playfight with Diesel the Staffie, who'd have thought he was bullied by a Yorkie in his previous home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >