register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which CM methods do you use on your dog?
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise? 26 68.42%
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs? 7 18.42%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention? 1 2.63%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction? 0 0%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention 1 2.63%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction 1 2.63%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention 0 0%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction 0 0%
Do you use prong collars 0 0%
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar 0 0%
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear 0 0%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor 1 2.63%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression 1 2.63%
Do you alpha roll your dog? 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.



Closed Thread
Page 7 of 27 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »
scarter
Dogsey Senior
scarter is offline  
Location: Glasgow, UK
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 810
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
no episodes i have seen, have had CM saying to use that as the only form of exercise... i never take it that way. i just take it that thats a good way to get out the excess energy but to combine it with walking and offlead exercise. some of the dogs also really look to enjoy it...
I think cycling or roller blading is shown a lot because in the states you can't really let dogs run off-lead in public parks the way you can here. Walking on-lead simply isn't going to high energy dogs with enough exercise. So the biking, rollerblading and even treatmill at a push are ways to get sufficient exercise for a high energy dog in a less than ideal environment.

I believe he personally takes his dogs on a long off-lead hike in the countryside.

In one of his books he describes a well structured walk. And the actual structure depends a lot upon your dog's individual habits. But as an example, in a one hour walk he recommends:

15 minutes migration, moving as a pack
5 minutes rewards; tracking; searching; sniffing
15 minutes migration, moving as a pack
10 minutes rewards, tracking; searching; sniffing
15 minutes migration, moving as a pack.

Or

30 minutes pack leader walk with intention (must invest 100%)
10 minutes rewards; tracking; searching; sniffing
15 minutes migration moving as a pack
5 minutes rewards; tracking; searching; sniffing
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,969
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Doesn`t anyone else use their dog`s name to get their attention?
Is it just me then?
e.g, Daisy come: Daisy- she is alerted, come - she comes.
Don`t really see the point of an extended vocabulary plus sound effects, personally.

And if I wanted my dog to Down I`d say Down. Cos that`s what she`s been trained to do. Oi! and The Finger may be personally satisfying but I`ve never trained a dog to respond to it.
Yup ! I use my dog's name to get his attention. Thereafter, his name is only used in the form of praise ... ie, good boy Tai. When I am oi'ing and tssting because he hasn't obeyed, for example, my sit command, I do not use his name. I want him to associate the use of his name with praise, when he has been obedient or when we are playing.

If he has disobeyed my first command : "Tai! Sit !" then his name is not used again, until the command has been obeyed and I can then praise him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,969
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
So what you're saying is CM takes an under exercised dog then forces the poor thing to run along side him for exercise, good grief the man just get's worse and worse.
It is not 'bunkum' but fact, the fitter a dog gets the more exercise he needs, as I said a dog needs both physical and mental stimulation. Attaching a dog to a bike or alongside you on roller blades as the only form of exercise will not resolve any issues. The dog needs to explore it's environment not just pound the pavement, this allows the dog to use all it's senses and will result in a happier, more stimulated dog.
I don't recall making any statement that CM only advocates loads of exercise.
I have made no inaccurate or libellous statements about CM, it's your blindness to his abuse methods that causes me the most concern. You make claims that a dog is responsible for choking itself despite the fact that the lead is being held by CM who fails to read the dogs body language. CM IS abusive, heartless and cruel, using bullying, aggressive, forceful and intimidating methods to achieve his results which usually do not translate into a well behaved dog for the owner unless they too continue with such disgusting methods.
I'll repeat it again, it is the blinkered view of a few on here who cannot see for looking that I find very disturbing.
Becky
Becky, you are just talking a load of rubbish. No dog I have ever had, even rescues like Tai who were unfit with no muscle due to lack of exercise, have had to be dragged "kicking and screaming" into taking exercise.

CM does not ONLY roller blade with dogs. As you very well know, if you watched the programmes. God, I really do despair. I've got to go now, OH is waiting for me to come on a bike ride with my poor abused dog. He went 10 miles yesterday along the towpath, and he's about to do another 10 miles. That poor dog, you had better report me to the RSPCA. Oh, and you'd better add this ... he fell in yesterday, tripped over a mooring post on the side of the canal, and the bank was too steep there for him to be able to climb out. I had to jump down onto a concrete pontoon and get him to swim to me so I could pull him out. Jeez, I am one cruel cow
scarter
Dogsey Senior
scarter is offline  
Location: Glasgow, UK
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 810
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I've just spent 1000 on mountain bikes for me and my husband so that we can overexercise our already overexercised (according to some halfwits) Beagles even more!!!

You know, they're so abused and downtrodden that they use appeasement signals such as wagging their tails and making their little eyes sparkle.

I won't make judgements about people on discussion forums as you can't see their dogs. But I despair at the state of some dogs I see when their owners think they are fit and lean. Lets just say I have concerns when people start talking about others over-exercising their dogs. Statistics tell us that most dogs in this country are fat to the point of being unhealthy and that the majority of the time their owners don't know it. When asked to pick out their dogs build on a chart they pick out the picture of a dangerously overweight dog and think it's in perfect condition!!!

I think people should get their priorities right and worry about the epedemic of unfit, fat, unhealthy dogs in our country rather than trying to make lazy dog owners feel better by pretending that insufficient exercise is in the dog's best interest. It's not.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
lozzibear is offline  
Location: Motherwell, UK
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 17,085
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I think cycling or roller blading is shown a lot because in the states you can't really let dogs run off-lead in public parks the way you can here. Walking on-lead simply isn't going to high energy dogs with enough exercise. So the biking, rollerblading and even treatmill at a push are ways to get sufficient exercise for a high energy dog in a less than ideal environment.
yeah, i was just trying to make the point that CM doesnt just say to take them roller blading etc, there are plenty episodes were he walking with them. mahooli said...

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Attaching a dog to a bike or alongside you on roller blades as the only form of exercise will not resolve any issues. The dog needs to explore it's environment not just pound the pavement, this allows the dog to use all it's senses and will result in a happier, more stimulated dog.
shes is saying he uses that as the only form of exercise, which he doesnt
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Mahooli is offline  
Location: Poodle Heaven!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,294
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Becky, you are just talking a load of rubbish. No dog I have ever had, even rescues like Tai who were unfit with no muscle due to lack of exercise, have had to be dragged "kicking and screaming" into taking exercise.

CM does not ONLY roller blade with dogs. As you very well know, if you watched the programmes. God, I really do despair. I've got to go now, OH is waiting for me to come on a bike ride with my poor abused dog. He went 10 miles yesterday along the towpath, and he's about to do another 10 miles. That poor dog, you had better report me to the RSPCA. Oh, and you'd better add this ... he fell in yesterday, tripped over a mooring post on the side of the canal, and the bank was too steep there for him to be able to climb out. I had to jump down onto a concrete pontoon and get him to swim to me so I could pull him out. Jeez, I am one cruel cow
If you knew anything about dogs you would know that taking a dog that has not been exercised straight out on long walks is wrong, it needs to be built up gradually to prevent the dog from being injured. If CM is taking peoples dogs out who he believes has not been adequately exercised straight away on roller blades then he is doing it wrong.
With regards to you being in dispair just remember those of us who are stunned that YOU cannot see the abuse this man deals out on his dogs.
Having just read the supposed exercise regime CM puts in his books then I pity those poor dogs, where are they allowed any time off to actually be dogs on their own terms rather than those put upon them by him? Only allowed to sniff when he says so for a mere 25% of a one hour walk good grief. Dogs aren't robots.
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Mahooli is offline  
Location: Poodle Heaven!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,294
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I've just spent 1000 on mountain bikes for me and my husband so that we can overexercise our already overexercised (according to some halfwits) Beagles even more!!!

You know, they're so abused and downtrodden that they use appeasement signals such as wagging their tails and making their little eyes sparkle.

I won't make judgements about people on discussion forums as you can't see their dogs. But I despair at the state of some dogs I see when their owners think they are fit and lean. Lets just say I have concerns when people start talking about others over-exercising their dogs. Statistics tell us that most dogs in this country are fat to the point of being unhealthy and that the majority of the time their owners don't know it. When asked to pick out their dogs build on a chart they pick out the picture of a dangerously overweight dog and think it's in perfect condition!!!

I think people should get their priorities right and worry about the epedemic of unfit, fat, unhealthy dogs in our country rather than trying to make lazy dog owners feel better by pretending that insufficient exercise is in the dog's best interest. It's not.
Where have I mentione dover exercising dogs, nowhere, you're making things up now. What I have said is that dogs need more than a bit of pavement pounding or being attached to bikes/blades etc to ensure they are happy and both physically and mentally stimulated. I have also pointed out that it is wrong to take under exercised dogs out straight away on long, forced (if they are attached to bike/blades) walks. It needs to be done gradually and carefully to prevent injury.
I have always campaigned about fat dogs even to the point of calling the RSPCA to those that are grossly over weight, however at that time the RSPCA did not consider excessive weight to be a neglect issue although they have changed their tune soon.
I will also not disregard one matter of abuse over another, CM abuses dogs and whenever a CM thread appears then I will express my opinon thus, when a fat dog thread appears I will do the same. To me they are ALL causes for concern and they should ALL be top priority. The man is a menace as many American Humane societies have now come out publically against him, have complained along with many dog professionals and individuals as well. His programmes should be banned from UK TV.
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Mahooli is offline  
Location: Poodle Heaven!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,294
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
shes is saying he uses that as the only form of exercise, which he doesnt
No I didn't say that what I said is using blading/cycling as the only form of exercise for your dog is inadequate.
Becky
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Annajayne is offline  
Location: Lancashire UK
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 588
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Dogs need a warm up and warm down when walking. This is not something I read or made up. My last dog suffered badly with his joints and was seeing a specialist for some time. That specialist vet said just like people, dogs need to warm up before running and then warm down. Lead walk, let them off, lead walk back to the car or home. If Gnasher is setting off on her bike with that poor dog she is heading for trouble.

I also feel that if Gnasher has to tsst and oi so much her training isn't working. No CM training, ever, in my house and I have a very fiesty boy, but I only need to use his name. Makes me wonder if some people just have a dog so they can feel powerful.
cordie
Dogsey Junior
cordie is offline  
Location: leeds england
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 28
Female 
 
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
he also throws balls for them and has a swimming pool for dogs unable to do long walks due to poor condition, also at the beginning of each programme there is a notice saying that no animals were hurt during the making, and at the end it specifically says it is NOT recommended that viewers use his methods, they are for him as a trainer to use. now can we agree to disagree
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 27 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top