register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which CM methods do you use on your dog?
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise? 26 68.42%
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs? 7 18.42%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention? 1 2.63%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction? 0 0%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention 1 2.63%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction 1 2.63%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention 0 0%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction 0 0%
Do you use prong collars 0 0%
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar 0 0%
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear 0 0%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor 1 2.63%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression 1 2.63%
Do you alpha roll your dog? 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.



Closed Thread
Page 5 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Promethean is offline  
Location: Back in Canada, finally!!!!!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 240
Male 
 
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise?
He's aerobically fit, well muscled and has no excess fat.

Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs?
I use electric energy, thermal energy, kinetic energy and electromagnetic energy - none of it on dogs.

With my dog I use behavior, sometimes quiet at other times animated.


Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention?
NO. He has a name and Knows it.

Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction?
You mean punishment; the answer is no.

Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention
No. He has a name and knows it.

Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction?
NO

Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention?
NO

Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction?
NO

Do you use prong collars?
NO

Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar?
NO

Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear?
NO.

Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor?
NO

Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression?
NO.

Do you alpha roll your dog?
No.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Mahooli is offline  
Location: Poodle Heaven!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,294
Female 
 
02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by cordie View Post
I agree with the exercise , and the calm energy. And having watched people go to him as a last resort having been kicked out of behavioural classes what can you say against the guy? ok maybe hes a showman, even a bit smarmy, maybe he annoys you acting up to the camera? the fact is that he gets results, and if the dogs are so scared of him , why do they look at him so adoringly and lick his face , the owners testify to his success so job done.
I can say a lot and it has nothing to do with who he is as a person and everything to do with the appalling way he treats dogs. I really think he should use his own advice with regards to being calm!
As Wys has said face licking is an appeasement gesture. There is also plenty of evidence around to show that he does not actually help the dogs. Remember TV programmes are heavily edited and his results and indeed any results from TV trainers will not be instantaneous and has to be worked at regularly.
Becky
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Ben Mcfuzzylugs is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,644
Female 
 
02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi Gnasher
Not trying to pick your post appart or get a fight - just want to understand these methods

What is the difference between tssting for attention and doing the same to tell the dog off?? do you make a different noise?

When do you use the hand bite? What is he doing wrong that needs corrected and what is his response to the hand bite?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Trouble is offline  
Location: Romford, uk
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,040
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise?
They get plenty of exercise both physical and mental, but they're always up for more.
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs?
Yep, that doesn't mean I'm quiet cos I'm not, I'm vocal and high energy but non reactionary. I take everything in my stride, nothing fazes me.
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention?
I use names generally for attention.
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction?
Not while standing up but while sitting down I might give a poke with a bare big toe
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention
They know their names and I use them.
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction
My preferred word is Oi but I do use a variety of sounds/ words such as Ah, Shhh etc.
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention
No, I can't do that as the 'hand bite' is a stoopid game me and Syd play, where my hand comes towards him in the bite position and we pretend to attack each other. See I told ya it was stoopid
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction
Wouldn't work see above
Do you use prong collars
Nope, just flat collars.
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar
Nope, just flat collars.
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear
I have used flooding to acclimatise dogs to situations but not with a fearful dog.
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor
Yep, when breaking up fights it can happen.
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression
Nope.
Do you alpha roll your dog?
Nope.

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Ramble is offline  
Location: dogsville
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,133
Female 
 
02-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise?
Yes. I try to make it as interesting as possible for them too, so that they are physically and mentally tired. We don't walk in the same place everyday, vary routes, encourage them to sniff and vary activities when we are out with them.Walks are done at their pace so they can be dogs.
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs?
No, not in the CM way. I am calm yes....but then sometimes I am excitable...sometimes I am loud...sometimes quiet and still...It varies according to the situation and needs of the dog
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention?
No
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction?
No
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention
No.
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction
I did try this on one occassion and Cosmo thought there was something wrong with me and started leaping up and down, trying to ensure I had not sprung an air leak.
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention
No....my hands are important in my relationship with my dogs and so they only know them as 'good thing' things that give tickles and food.
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction
No...as above
Do you use prong collars
Nope, just flat collars.
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar
Nope, just flat collars.
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear
No definitely not.
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor
No.
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression
Nope.
Do you alpha roll your dog?
Nope.

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Trouble is offline  
Location: Romford, uk
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,040
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise?
They get plenty of exercise both physical and mental, but they're always up for more.
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs?
Yep, that doesn't mean I'm quiet cos I'm not, I'm vocal and high energy but non reactionary. I take everything in my stride, nothing fazes me.
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention?
I use names generally for attention.
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction?
Not while standing up but while sitting down I might give a poke with a bare big toe
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention
They know their names and I use them.
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction
My preferred word is Oi but I do use a variety of sounds/ words such as Ah, Shhh etc.
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention
No, I can't do that as the 'hand bite' is a stoopid game me and Syd play, where my hand comes towards him in the bite position and we pretend to attack each other. See I told ya it was stoopid
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction
Wouldn't work see above
Do you use prong collars
Nope, just flat collars.
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar
Nope, just flat collars.
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear
I have used flooding to acclimatise dogs to situations but not with a fearful dog.
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor
Yep, when breaking up fights it can happen.
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression
Nope.
Do you alpha roll your dog?
Nope.


Reactionary doh! Not feeling well today and brain not functioning very well but I guess ya know what I mean. As in I don't rise to the bait whatever it may be. I'm proactive rather than reactive, and going for a lie down now
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,969
Female 
 
02-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Hi Gnasher
Not trying to pick your post appart or get a fight - just want to understand these methods

What is the difference between tssting for attention and doing the same to tell the dog off?? do you make a different noise?

When do you use the hand bite? What is he doing wrong that needs corrected and what is his response to the hand bite?
OK, here is what I do in detail to get his attention:

"Tai ! ". He looks at me immediately. I will then give the command, let's say it is the sit command. I will then say "sit"!

if there is no response, I do not repeat his name again. I will then raise my voice slightly and say

"Sit !"

if there is still no response ... and the sit is his very worst command, as it was Hal's ... I will tsst or oi him. As far as I am concerned, the sound you make is irrelevant, as long as the dog associates a particular thing with a particular sound. Tai knows that if I tssts him or oi him, it is one step up from the original command - in other words he has been told to sit, and he did not sit. Therefore, he is tssted or oi'ed. Tone of voice comes into it as well. If the tsst or the oi didn't work, and it sometimes doesn't with the sit command, then a gentle knee nudge gets the correct result.

Before I am attacked from all quarters, Tai's worst command is sit. For some reason he does not like to sit. Hal was exactly the same. I personally think this could be because both are rather large in the spherical objects department, and it is uncomfortable to sit, but my vet says not, it is just that they are both gits !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,969
Female 
 
02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I can say a lot and it has nothing to do with who he is as a person and everything to do with the appalling way he treats dogs. I really think he should use his own advice with regards to being calm!
As Wys has said face licking is an appeasement gesture. There is also plenty of evidence around to show that he does not actually help the dogs. Remember TV programmes are heavily edited and his results and indeed any results from TV trainers will not be instantaneous and has to be worked at regularly.
Becky
Becky, could you please, pretty please, try not to turn this thread into yet another boring rant against CM. The thread topic is about which bits of CM training do you agree with. If your answer is "nothing", then please could you just not bother to post? Banging on about how appallingly he treats dogs, and how heavily edited his programmes are is absolutely nothing to do with the title of this thread!

None of us, even those who like CM, agree with absolutely everything he does. But even you must admit his advocacy of exercise and plenty of it is A1?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Jackie is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,056
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
OK, here is what I do in detail to get his attention:

"Tai ! ". He looks at me immediately. I will then give the command, let's say it is the sit command. I will then say "sit"!

if there is no response, I do not repeat his name again. I will then raise my voice slightly and say

"Sit !"

if there is still no response ... and the sit is his very worst command, as it was Hal's ... I will tsst or oi him. As far as I am concerned, the sound you make is irrelevant, as long as the dog associates a particular thing with a particular sound. Tai knows that if I tssts him or oi him, it is one step up from the original command - in other words he has been told to sit, and he did not sit. Therefore, he is tssted or oi'ed. Tone of voice comes into it as well. If the tsst or the oi didn't work, and it sometimes doesn't with the sit command, then a gentle knee nudge gets the correct result.

Before I am attacked from all quarters, Tai's worst command is sit. For some reason he does not like to sit. Hal was exactly the same. I personally think this could be because both are rather large in the spherical objects department, and it is uncomfortable to sit, but my vet says not, it is just that they are both gits !!
But most of what you have just described is NOT exclusive to CM... consistency and patience is the essence of all training methods/

the only bit that confuses me, is you use of tsst or oi, to get a "sit" if you use those sounds for other commands, who does the dog know what you want.

I agree the word or sound you make to train a wanted behaviour is irrelevant, but surely it needs to be exclusive to the command you want.

No point in shouting down when you want a wait!!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
lilypup is offline  
Location: West Sussex, UK
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,983
Female 
 
02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
well something i saw on a cm show was getting your dog to wait patiently and quietly while you prepare their food. dylan has always sat on his mat but for some unknown reason i didn't encourage lily to do the same!

consequently she would yap and jump at me and basically get herself all excited, resulting in her woofing down her food and occasionally bringing a bit back up.

it took me about 5 minutes to get her to lay on her bed in the dining room and stay there. she also is much calmer now when she eats and no longer brings any back. all good.

actually i may have done too good a job on her as i say 'get it!' in a high pitched voice when she can come and eat. at lunch today i prepared her food and she lay on her bed as usual. instead of saying 'get it' for some reason i said 'come come', which is her recall sound. when she didn't appear i looked around the corner and she was looking totally confused! she'd got up but had also recognised that wasn't her food command!

i corrected myself and she came in to eat. poor pup!
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 27 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top