register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 69 39.66%
No 68 39.08%
Other, please specify 37 21.26%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.



Reply
Page 6 of 92 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 > Last »
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Pidge is offline  
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,366
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:38 PM
This quote from the booklet sums up where I think I've gone wrong, perfectly:

''In summary, dogs live better lives when their owners are fair and consistent in their approach. They need to have set boundaries to help them function better within the confusing world in which we live. They need to know they can rely on us to be their guide and their teacher. We hope we have reassured you that your dog won't be asking you to subscribe to 'Tanks & Armaments Monthly', to help him plan his military campaign, and that he hasn't hotwired his Bonios to explode if you approach his basket without his permission.''
Reply With Quote
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Ramble is offline  
Location: dogsville
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,133
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
LOL Ailsa...I think I do the same with my dogs but I see that as me being the boss..LIke I said,,its all about what the individual perceives as being alpha..
Youre too soft to be alpha matey.....you are just pretending!
Reply With Quote
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Pidge is offline  
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,366
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Who gave you that?????

They are my mates they are.......
I keep asking for commission but they are not very forthcoming....
Bloody hell!! Is this the book you've been telling me about? I knew I should have listened to you.

The behaviourists at work that I'm using gave it to me. It's bloody brilliant and makes so much sense.

I feel like such a fool!
Reply With Quote
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
hectorsmum is offline  
Location: Derbyshire.....the walking county
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,982
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Is there a difference between guiding your dog and telling them what to do?

Is it about mutual respect? Them for us and us for them?

Just thinking out loud and trying to get my head round it all. Part of the problems we have have stemmed from stupid me thinking that the best way to raise Woody is to be seen of the "pack leader". I don't even know where this came from but this is what I thought I had to do.

I'm reading a great booklet about it all and it's a real eye opener.

by guiding them your showing them what you want, whether thats by vocal means or hand signals. once they have understood what your asking then it makes life easier for them.

if you have no respect then the dog will be reluctant to want to please, just like the yobs of today.
respect is earnt not expected.

dont beat yourself up about woody, we've all made mistakes with our dogs and put those mistakes right.
you've done the right thing by him now and in time you'll see a huge difference.
well done you. xxxxxxx
Reply With Quote
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
labradork is offline  
Location: West Sussex
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,744
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Try 'Don't Shoot the Dog!' by Karen Pryor. Great book - you'd like it!
Reply With Quote
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Ramble is offline  
Location: dogsville
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,133
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
This quote from the booklet sums up where I think I've gone wrong, perfectly:

''In summary, dogs live better lives when their owners are fair and consistent in their approach. They need to have set boundaries to help them function better within the confusing world in which we live. They need to know they can rely on us to be their guide and their teacher. We hope we have reassured you that your dog won't be asking you to subscribe to 'Tanks & Armaments Monthly', to help him plan his military campaign, and that he hasn't hotwired his Bonios to explode if you approach his basket without his permission.''
They talk a load of sense. They are lovely people. I recommend them to everyone. I think they should give me money. They won't..I have to make do with them talking to me now their fame is spreading.

Seriously, they are fab.They talk absolute sense.
Reply With Quote
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Lucky Star is offline  
Location: Usually in a muddy field somewhere
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,089
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.deaf-dogs-help.co.uk/help/packleader.htm

Shouldn't this all be obvious really?
Reply With Quote
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Ramble is offline  
Location: dogsville
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,133
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Bloody hell!! Is this the book you've been telling me about? I knew I should have listened to you.

The behaviourists at work that I'm using gave it to me. It's bloody brilliant and makes so much sense.

I feel like such a fool!
Yes it is.
Don't feel a fool.
Just glad you've found it, it is good isn't it?


Wait til I tell them the people at Blue Cross gave it to you!!!! Bless 'em.

They are brill (have I mentioned that before???? )
Reply With Quote
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Pidge is offline  
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,366
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
by guiding them your showing them what you want, whether thats by vocal means or hand signals. once they have understood what your asking then it makes life easier for them.

if you have no respect then the dog will be reluctant to want to please, just like the yobs of today.
respect is earnt not expected.

dont beat yourself up about woody, we've all made mistakes with our dogs and put those mistakes right.
you've done the right thing by him now and in time you'll see a huge difference.
well done you. xxxxxxx
Thanks so much xx

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Try 'Don't Shoot the Dog!' by Karen Pryor. Great book - you'd like it!
Will have a look. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
They talk a load of sense. They are lovely people. I recommend them to everyone. I think they should give me money. They won't..I have to make do with them talking to me now their fame is spreading.

Seriously, they are fab.They talk absolute sense.
Yes, they do ;o)

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes it is.
Don't feel a fool.
Just glad you've found it, it is good isn't it?


Wait til I tell them the people at Blue Cross gave it to you!!!! Bless 'em.

They are brill (have I mentioned that before???? )
OK, calm down!! ;o) It's like everything I've been confused about and all the different things I've heard from so many people are no longer an issue. I now have a clear cut way to approach my dog and am certain that even that alone will help HIM too.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
http://www.deaf-dogs-help.co.uk/help/packleader.htm

Shouldn't this all be obvious really?
Yes. It is now ;o) Reminds me of something else I can't get my head round - gundog training Vs guide dog training annd the whole positive reinforcement thing. But that's a whole other thread ;o)
Reply With Quote
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Ramble is offline  
Location: dogsville
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,133
Female 
 
16-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Thanks so much xx



Will have a look. Thanks.



Yes, they do ;o)



OK, calm down!! ;o) It's like everything I've been confused about and all the different things I've heard from so many people are no longer an issue. I now have a clear cut way to approach my dog and am certain that even that alone will help HIM too.



Yes. It is now ;o) Reminds me of something else I can't get my head round - gundog training Vs guide dog training annd the whole positive reinforcement thing. But that's a whole other thread ;o)
They make things very clear and explain things very well. You can't go far wrong with them. They are very knowledgeable.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 6 of 92 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top