Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Advice for someone that wants a husky

I have a carpenter working at my house and as he has worked out i like dogs a bit he has asked for some advice as his family have been talking about getting a dog for a while - him,his wife and two daughters 2 and 6 years old - his daughter has seen the disney film think its called snow dogs? and wants a husky i said i didnt think they would be suitable because they need a fair amount of exercise, are not very good off lead and do enjoy some form of work and wouldnt be suitable for a first dog - was i right to put him off?
What breed would you recommend? it will be walked every day and go to training classes and be very well loved,i was thinking of a spaniel
He likes the look of the huskys and would like a small or medium sized breed- any suggestions. thanks mel
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
What about a alaskan klee klei (sp) i dont no much about them though sorry x
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I will look it up as never heard of that one before -Thanks
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 03:47 PM
What about a Spitz-type breed?

I think you are right to put him off, I have a feeling that they are not good first-time dogs...
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I think you were right to put him off, just a pitty more people couldn't be put off and then we would maybe have less Sibes going through welfare. Perhaps something like a Buhund would be more suitable.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Huskies are a real NO NO for a first time dog, i'm glad you put him off as the dog may well have eneded up with the likes of mike B in the end . . . Another rescuse because people didn't know what they were taking on.

I think a spaniel is a great first time dog for active people, we always had cockers up until a few years ago. And because i can't help it i have to say a lurcher as well. They really are great first time dogs and they are such a joy to own . . .
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
What about a Finnish Spits if they like that kind of looking dog.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I think i will go and have a look on the net for spitz types as i know there are a few , im just glad he asked first rather then just going out to get a puppy just because of a film.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by madisondobie View Post
I think i will go and have a look on the net for spitz types as i know there are a few , im just glad he asked first rather then just going out to get a puppy just because of a film.
Very true and its a sad fact that many don't
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 05:38 PM
It may be that a blue eyed blue merle border collie would look enough like a 'snow dog' to satisfy the little one... There are all sorts of dogs in rescues and if they go along to somewhere like woodgreen animal shelter, just the right dog will steal their hearts!

But yes, you were right to put them off. Huskies are difficult dogs and not a good first dog. Make a fantastic second dog though...

Samoyeds are super snow dogs, everyone loves my Selkie, they are more reliable off lead (eventually, once they have bonded to their family) and love to be around the house and kids... Maybe a Sammie will be the right doggie?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >