Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-07-2017, 07:58 PM

No time for dog.... get another dog?

I know it sounds counterproductive and I agree... but hear me out.

Me, owner of 6 month old pup, living singly. I am currently in between jobs and looking, but also renovating a building, which must get finished and is about done. I may get a work from home job, I've done that before and would prefer it.
Right now the dog spends most of the day in the yard, sleeping....and comes in in the evenings. By that time I'm exhausted from a long day and she's charged up and raring, pulling stuff off the walls to get my attention.
So I spend my day feeling bad the dog is alone, and nights harried and tired, and guilty if I have to go out after the work day.
But... its working.

Now, I used to have two dogs for over 10 years, and it worked rather well. And the line of thinking goes like this: Dogs are pack animals, and happiest with company.
Therefore two dogs is better than one alone dog.
OK, agreed.
And the dogs could play all day, come in tired like me, not be lonely, and all would be well, right?

But how can someone barely with time to raise one dog, raise two?
I don't want a lecture from people who don't have to work, or have a partner who works and can afford to spend all day with their dogs. That is not a realistic possiblity.
And I'm not abandoning the dog I have.
Just wanting thoughts and/or experiences on raising two puppies instead of one. Not especially for the sake of the owner... but for the sake of the dogs.

?? ???
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by jeffpas View Post
I know it sounds counterproductive and I agree... but hear me out.

Me, owner of 6 month old pup, living singly. I am currently in between jobs and looking, but also renovating a building, which must get finished and is about done. I may get a work from home job, I've done that before and would prefer it.
Right now the dog spends most of the day in the yard, sleeping....and comes in in the evenings. By that time I'm exhausted from a long day and she's charged up and raring, pulling stuff off the walls to get my attention.
So I spend my day feeling bad the dog is alone, and nights harried and tired, and guilty if I have to go out after the work day.
But... its working.

Now, I used to have two dogs for over 10 years, and it worked rather well. And the line of thinking goes like this: Dogs are pack animals, and happiest with company.
Therefore two dogs is better than one alone dog.
OK, agreed.
And the dogs could play all day, come in tired like me, not be lonely, and all would be well, right?

But how can someone barely with time to raise one dog, raise two?
I don't want a lecture from people who don't have to work, or have a partner who works and can afford to spend all day with their dogs. That is not a realistic possiblity.
And I'm not abandoning the dog I have.
Just wanting thoughts and/or experiences on raising two puppies instead of one. Not especially for the sake of the owner... but for the sake of the dogs.

?? ???
Hi Jeff.
I have a similar query but from a different perspective.
I'm retired - sort of. I still do some consultancy. But it leaves time to walk the dog several times a day. Miles at a time. But he can get bored in between and wants play time.

We wondered whether a companion to play with would be a good idea. We've had Max, our dog, a couple of years now. We just don't know how he would react to another dog in the house. He does get along with other dogs when we are out walking. Except if another dog gets too close to me or my wife. Usually a stare is enough but he may growl on occasion.

Maybe a kitten is the answer.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2017, 08:51 PM
2 dogs double the work ... if you are tired just looking after one you will be exhausted with 2. Dont get another dog is my advice
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2017, 08:57 PM
I've got 7 so what do I know lol except I would say I'd wait till the first one was trained to a good standard before getting another and even then expect the older one to go backwards with their training at first.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-07-2017, 04:54 AM
I'm fine with waiting except for the fact that I feel my original dog is lonely.... and also a friend has backed out of an adoption on a puppy I like, so there's one available.
The original thought was they could get one and then the two could visit, but no such luck. So "Tigger", as we call him, the puppy with the stripes and white feet we went to see off a Craigslist ad is going, going, gone. Except I'm still getting texts he hasn't been taken yet lol.

I could never do more than two here, and have done it before, but the plan was of course to wait until the first is fully trained. My solo dog is an energy bomb, still in her night crate and occasionally is going in the house.
My sister says "aw get it over with, might as well do two as one" but I'm inclined to think I'll be twice as exhausted.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Oh well if the first is not yet fully house trained don't even think about it, really it would be an ongoing nightmare trying to train two not to go inside and the older they get the harder it becomes.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2017, 09:33 AM
My thought on multiple dogs was that for every minute they spend positively interacting with another dog you had to at least match in order to keep them heavily focused on you, at least until you have a solid bond and they are well trained. So mainly it would be the new pup. But also with their ages and the one you have not being fully toilet trained, and is it still destroying the house? It will just teach your new one to do the same.

I personally wouldn't. If you are too tired for one dog, then I don't see another dog helping. Maybe a dog walker, or some friends with dogs that you can all work together to take turns having the dogs for a few hours? Or do I dare even suggest a doggy day care type setup?
Sounds to me like the dog needs more stimulation, walks, training, playing anything. Adding another dog will just be another dog needing walks, training, playing and everything else.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-07-2017, 08:45 PM
I wish I had more time of course to do all those things! I'm spending all the time I possibly can. That was the whole reason for getting her a companion.

On a side note, just had company visit and she was absolutely spastic with excitement, jumping and with the claws and teeth nipping. She's gotten big fast and hard to control, and pretty much drove them out the door with cuts and scratches. It was pretty bad.

I'm starting to regret the advice "let them mouth you, its natural". Relatives have a 'teeth don't touch skin' rule from puppy age and they seem to be faring far better. Also as cute as jumping up to say hi is when they're little, this should probably be forbidden at the get-go too.
I'm paying the price now! She has quickly become a big furniture crashing teenage delinquent when she gets riled. :/
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by jeffpas View Post
I wish I had more time of course to do all those things! I'm spending all the time I possibly can. That was the whole reason for getting her a companion.

On a side note, just had company visit and she was absolutely spastic with excitement, jumping and with the claws and teeth nipping. She's gotten big fast and hard to control, and pretty much drove them out the door with cuts and scratches. It was pretty bad.

I'm starting to regret the advice "let them mouth you, its natural". Relatives have a 'teeth don't touch skin' rule from puppy age and they seem to be faring far better. Also as cute as jumping up to say hi is when they're little, this should probably be forbidden at the get-go too.
I'm paying the price now! She has quickly become a big furniture crashing teenage delinquent when she gets riled. :/
I think you have answered your own question.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-07-2017, 09:55 PM
What question. You mean, not get a second dog?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >