Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dario
New Member!
Male 

16-03-2017, 02:34 PM

Dog constantly scavenging for bones

Hello everyone!
I have a 15 months old mixed breed, medium sized, famale dog, I'm guessing she is a whippet, flat coated retriever and a weimaraner mix. I rescued her straight from the streets when she was about 3-4 months old and I also took her mom and sister to the shelter where we found out they have been abused ... So she doesn't really trusts humans and is shy and doesn't have a lot of confidance. She is a real wanderlust, all she wants to do is sniff and explore, and is a bit wild if I may say so. I can walk her off leash but she is not the type of dog that will just stick next to me or do everything to please me, and I'm fine with that but there is one downside to it...

Almost all the time when she is off leash and playing with other dogs or just running around on her own (she just loves to run) at some point she will just head off on a search for bones to eat. She knows the command "leave it" and will leave or spit out anything, even bones when we are alone (I mean when there are no other dogs around) but when there are dogs around there is no way that she will spit out a bone, I think she is afraid that if she leaves it other dog will take it, no matter what kind of treat i have to offer her in exchange for her bone she will not spit it out but will rather just run away from anyone and chew it.

Thats the only issue I have with her, she doesn't destroy the house in any way, she also has a cat as her companion and I buy her toys and bones to chew from the pet center but she constantly just keeps on scavenging. I think it is because she grew up on the street and one of the first things she learned to do is to scavange for food in order to survive and it's probably been etched in her memory... My neighbors really love her because she will play with their dogs like no other dog would but I'm afraid to let her off leash anymore because she can hurt herself with a bone, and it's became really anoying. We've recently moved from the center of the city to the side part of it and this behaviour starded to occur only then. I couldn't really let her off leash before because there is alot of traffic and no dog parks where we used to live but now the neighborhood is really nice where dogs can happily play and roam, but there are no dog parks too and there are bones everywhere!

I have trained her to wear a muzzle but she can't really play for more than 10 mins with it because she is not able to panth and can overheat easly so it is not really an option. I want her to have a good life and not miss out on anything considering what she's been through and it's a real wonder she survived. So please, if you know anything about how to make her stop scavanging, tell me, I really need help...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2017, 03:56 PM
It comes down to training but as for not giving up bones when other dogs are around, that's perfectly normal behaviour. Dogs consider bones to be very high value and even my cossetted well fed dogs will not willingly give up a bone to another dog.
Dario
New Member!
Male 

16-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Ofc it comes down to training but I need to know HOW?
How do i make my dog stop scavenging?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2017, 05:37 PM
By repeatedly calling it away every time it scavenges, you may have to keep it on a long line to do so.
A basket muzzle will not affect breathing, panting etc.
like this http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessori...e-muzzle-p-506
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Where exactly are you taking your dog to be with other dogs, where there are bones to be found? That ask, never go there again because the place is the problem, not your dog as dead animal parts, cooked or not found on the ground will be a source of many problems both behavioral and biological.