Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Hearts

I have just been and bought 3 whole lamb hearts and some sliced beef heart.
Can I cook the lamb hearts? as I tend to cook all the food except the tripe.
Also then do I just feed them whole or are they messy so best cut up in her bowl?
I am going to feed her heart for breakfast tomorrow, now will one be plenty or should I also feed some tripe with it? She weighs approx 28kg
I still havn't plucked up the courage to feed raw bones, but I think we are doing alright (well I hope we are), I give her a powder calcium supplement and also some codliver oil.
She is not very keen on fish though, does that matter?
I am buying the prize choice frozen blocks and cook them as it says on the pack.
This last week she has had Rabbit, chicken, turkey, lamb, tripe, beef, she has also had a little liver and kidney I cooked mixed in with it twice. I do also add some tesco plain mixer biscuit to her meals. Does that all sound ok?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I feed hearts whole and chopped.

A caveat, whole hearts can often be swallowed whole which means the dog is more at risk of GDV in a susceptible breed and/or upchucking.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I will chop it for her then thankyou.
Does the rest of her diet sound ok?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I feed heart too about once or twice every ten days. Mine won't eat it completely raw so I tend to chop a lamb's heart into about 3 bits, blanch it in boiling water, then drain. Then I cut it with scissors into bite sized chunks & freeze in portion sizes along with offal that I treat in the same way. This means that it is just cooked on the outside but raw in the middle. Be careful when you chop them up as they can squirt blood all over you!!!

I chop mine up because gutsy Barney would probably swallow it whole, chuck it up, try again, chuck it up then chew it a bit. Wilma would be "I can't possibly eat something as large as that, please kindly use your scissors on it!".

I'm not sure if one lamb's heart would constitute a meal ~ depends on the dog. I would probably class it as a smallish meal for one of my labs, the sort of size they get for breakfast, like half a tray of Nature Diet.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 02:13 PM
3 hearts (lamb) roughly constitute a whole meal for my dogs. That would be about 500g roughly
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
3 hearts (lamb) roughly constitute a whole meal for my dogs. That would be about 500g roughly
At the other end of the scale a single lambs heart would split between all 4 of mine for a meal.

Not sure where the OP bought her hearts - but watch the lambs hearts from Tesco - these have been frozen already and can't be re-frozen.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
At the other end of the scale a single lambs heart would split between all 4 of mine for a meal.

Not sure where the OP bought her hearts - but watch the lambs hearts from Tesco - these have been frozen already and can't be re-frozen.
I did buy them from tesco and i have cooked them and frozen 2 of them as i didn't realise. I suppose I had better chuck them out then. I wish they would state on the packaging.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2011, 06:28 PM
It does say on the packaging - but in teeny tiny print - my raw feeding mentor had to point it out to me as I did exactly the same as you having thought i'd got a bargin in the reduced section.

If you've a Morrisons locally their fresh meat is all proper fresh though they tend to have ox heart rather than lamb - they do have beef/lamb/pork liver and kidneys though... oh and lamb bones if your lucky
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Unfortunatly I don't have a Morrisons close enough to make it worthwhile. I think the nearest is about 20 mile away.
I've just rescued a few bits from the freezer that were not quite frozen yet and put them in a tub in the fridge for tomorrow. the bits that were frozen are now outside in the dustbin.
Thankyou for telling me or I would have fed them .
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I've frozen many hearts from Tesco over time and my dogs are still alive! I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that refreezing meat doesnt matter so much with dogs (although I dont actually know why it's a no-no in humans!)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >