Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Biff's eye update...

Biff revisited the vets again this morning, the eye drops haven't worked meaning the lump on his eyelid is probably some sort of tumour.
We have decided to leave it for now, with the vet's backing. As the vet said 'if you start cutting things off this dog you will end up with no dog left...' Think it was a reference to the number of lipomas he has!!!! When we asked about removing a large one a while ago he said' you cut them off, you are left with half a dog, what is the point in half a dog?!!!!!' Funny guy our vet!

Anyway,we're to keep an eye, he said he knows we are responsible and so is okay with that and we can assess again if it grows rapidly or becomes a problem, but given Biff's age and other problems,he totally supports our decision to leave it be.

This dog is turning into one big lump.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Could it be removed with a local anaesthetic or would it be a GA?
You know Biff best and if he is fine with it then I can see why you want it left alone.
Poor olg guy, love him lumps and all xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:35 AM
It would be a GA.
The vet said a that even though it is a 15 minute op it would stil be tough on a dog of his age etc.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Biff revisited the vets again this morning, the eye drops haven't worked meaning the lump on his eyelid is probably some sort of tumour.
We have decided to leave it for now, with the vet's backing. As the vet said 'if you start cutting things off this dog you will end up with no dog left...' Think it was a reference to the number of lipomas he has!!!! When we asked about removing a large one a while ago he said' you cut them off, you are left with half a dog, what is the point in half a dog?!!!!!' Funny guy our vet!

Anyway,we're to keep an eye, he said he knows we are responsible and so is okay with that and we can assess again if it grows rapidly or becomes a problem, but given Biff's age and other problems,he totally supports our decision to leave it be.

This dog is turning into one big lump.
I like the sound of your vet A!!!

Sacha is the same - all lumps and bumps an age thing I think isn't it! Sacha had one on her eye years ago and it just fell off one day?

I too would be leaving anything at this age - they just don't need the hassle of an op do they

Give the Biffters a tickle from me
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It would be a GA.
The vet said a that even though it is a 15 minute op it would stil be tough on a dog of his age etc.
It is a lot for an old boy to go through, hopefull it stays as it is.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I like the sound of your vet A!!!

Sacha is the same - all lumps and bumps an age thing I think isn't it! Sacha had one on her eye years ago and it just fell off one day?

I too would be leaving anything at this age - they just don't need the hassle of an op do they

Give the Biffters a tickle from me
Our vet is ace, very funny and very down to earth.
I agre, it is an age thing and so once you start removing them, you have no gurantee that they wouldn't get another one right next to where it was that's even bigger. Best to lleave them be, I agree. He's happy as he is.

Tickles gratefully received.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Your vet sounds like he's got a good sense of humour anyway. I think that can go towards putting your mind at ease a lot of the time. I'm sending your boy loads of hugs.

Heidi
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh Ailsa.....

Let's hope that it stays "still". I wouldn't want to see the old lad going through surgery at his age either, bless his little heart.

Fingers crossed xxxxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:10 PM
As long as everyone is happy with that decision A then so be it. xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys.
The vet said even though it is a relatively small op it is a lot for a dog of his age (and health) to got through so he agreed we are best leaving it for now. Our vets know that we like to go for quality not quantity of life and they also know Biff and how much he truly despises the vets, it would be so strssful for him to be left there for an op, that in itself would not be good for him.