Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 03:46 PM

really confused

ok am really confused. After our hoo haa over which foods are buav approved I swapped max onto autarky as it is available here i was told it was ok and max loves it plus it is cheaper which does help. I posted about it on another site and it didnt go down well two of the comments are below they are not nasty or unfriendly just their opinions so i thought it would be ok to copy them if it is not i will delete them but i am really confused??? have i made a mistake in putting max on autarky? I dont want to feed raw and we cant get burns or arden grange round here. I want to do whats best for my pup but dont know what that is anymore??!!!

"KatyB i wouldnt feed a food which has Maize as the first ingredient,i'd prefer maize to be absent in any dog food i feed!IMO it isnt o.k. There are so many better foods on the market with much nicer ingredients."

"BUAV approved dog foods - ie those that can prove that no animal testing was conducted anywhere in the supply chain - there are only 8 including Naturediet, Burns, Arden Grange, if you go to the BUAV website there is a list of the others.

IMHO my choice would be Naturediet, then Burns."
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Katy, if you think Max is doing well on it I would leave him on it.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 03:55 PM
well i cant tell that yet for sure can i he is still alive? he likes it? but what about the maize issue?? i had ahamster called maize once and that is the extent of my knowledge on it!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 03:55 PM
the important word in that reply is IMHO

Thats all it is Katy- their humble opinion
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 03:56 PM
so lel is maize as a main ingredient ok?
Robert
Dogsey Senior

05-10-2004, 03:57 PM
It is confusing Katy, and it all comes down to what suits your dog in the end.

Ideally none of us would feed our dogs anything that had anything suspect in them or were tested on animals, but thats only going to happen in an ideal world, all foods will most likely have something in them you'd rather not feed your dog.

All you can do is look at what every one tells you and try and decide for your self what you want to try, if one food suited all owners and all dogs, then who ever invented it would be very rich.

The problem with forums is people often write as if what they're saying is absolutely correct, and were all guilty of it, so you have to take every statement with a big pinch of salt.

Having said that there's no substitute for other peoples experiance's.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 03:58 PM
katy i gave it much thought and I have started the girls on Autarky today ...... like LEL says it's there opinion.......
Carole
Supervisor

05-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Sorry cant help about the maize issue Did you buy a big bag of Autarky?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2004, 04:04 PM
I would have thought most foods are maize or grain based but Im no expert- mine are on raw now but Gus started off on Hills- theres so much choice and most dogs will do well on any foods anyway- years ago they didnt have complete meals they ate any scraps from the table- I dont suppose much thought was given to nutrition and supplements then

If youre happy its not tested on animals and he does well on it then go for it
Carole
Supervisor

05-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Stars Burns is brown rice based which will be classed as a grain I think but the first ingredient is chicken.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >