Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Springboard
New Member!
Female 

13-09-2013, 06:53 PM

Aggressive puppy

My 8 month working cocker cross springer is causing a few problems. Occasionally what starts as play turns into some sort of attack, he keeps coming at you biting, not too hard, and no matter what we try he won't stop, it usually happens when he is tired. We have been catching him, with a bit of wrestling, and putting him in his crate, after a while we let him out and he's back to his sweet self! He will also try and bite when you attempt to move him out of the dishwasher or off the sofa, this is after him ignoring commands. Can anyone help?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Oh...that's not good
Hopefully experienced members will be along shortly to offer some advice.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Move him out of the dishwasher?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Move him out of the dishwasher?
Thank you for asking that,I didn't have the nerve
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Sorry you are having trouble with your puppy, you must be despairing at the moment. My first advice would be to get in contact with a decent dog behaviourist as it would be far better to nip this unwanted behaviour in the bud. Your vet should be able to recommend one.

I personally wouldn't know how to handle things when he is rushing at you trying to 'bite', (other than diversion tactics) but my advice for getting your pup off the settee would be this. Ideally don't allow him on any furniture at all unless you have invited him up on your terms. However if he is already up there and refusing to get down don't try and manhandle him down or raise your voice. Leave the room, get a treat and call him in a 'happy voice' to come to you and when he does immediately make a big fuss of him and give him the treat. I know that I have always been advised to ignore bad behaviour and 'treat' good behaviour and it really does work. Has he been trained with treats (positive reinforcements) as that is by far the best way. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 08:11 PM
And stop him getting into the dishwasher in the first place and then you won't have problems getting him out again!

Sorry about that couldn't resist! I've never owned a dog that would rush at you and bite you so cannot advise from personal experience. I agree with Jenny about the positive training. I do know young pups don't respond well to just being told NO!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Gill White at takingthelead lives in West Sussex, she is a very good positive trainer with a lot of experience, Gill helped me a lot when I first came on the internet especially with a dog that had been beaten for not coming back. After 4 years of trying to work out what he would come back for thanks to Gill I found it, a clicker. To Joe a clicker didn't mean a treat, it meant it was safe to come to me. That used to really make me cry.

Gill is very good and she does have classes as well as does one to one.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Hi Springboard - I used to have this problem with my dog, it's always in the early evening after the last walk of the day. It's much better now but could easily be triggered again. I am almost 99% sure this is not aggression, I think it's over-playful.

I would monitor how you play with him - do you play rough? (that's not so bad in itself but he might not realise there are boundaries), when he plays "mad" do you or anyone else in your household find it amusing? (again it is amusing but laughter is reinforcement.

Your boy has to learn that mouth to skin (or clothing) is an absolute no-no - NEVER, the moment he mouths then you stand up stiff cross your arms and count to 20 (just use your commonsense) whatever happens do not react i.e wrestle or tell off, that is the sort of rough attention he isseeking, after standing stiff with arms crossed go back to play quietly and nicely, first he has to sit and maybe shake a paw and then he gets tickled tummy.

The key to this is consistency - you and whoever else is in the household.

Originally Posted by Springboard View Post
My 8 month working cocker cross springer is causing a few problems. Occasionally what starts as play turns into some sort of attack, he keeps coming at you biting, not too hard, and no matter what we try he won't stop, it usually happens when he is tired. We have been catching him, with a bit of wrestling, and putting him in his crate, after a while we let him out and he's back to his sweet self! He will also try and bite when you attempt to move him out of the dishwasher or off the sofa, this is after him ignoring commands. Can anyone help?
Springboard
New Member!
Female 

13-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Thank you for the advice I will try some of the suggestions and let you know. Please note it is not my wish to have him in the dishwasher and I remove him immediately.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Springboard View Post
Thank you for the advice I will try some of the suggestions and let you know. Please note it is not my wish to have him in the dishwasher and I remove him immediately.
I'm sure its not When my OH or I are loading the dishwasher we have to watch the dogs. One of them especially will leap onto the open door given half the chance to lick the plates
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >