Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Bat

Reactive Dogs: I use Clicker and BAT training on reactive dogs and find it to be very successful.

Can anyone give me some advice if a dog will not look at you. I have asked the owners not to teach the traditional method "Look at me". But wait for the dog to naturally look at you and when he does, click, "Look at me" treat.

The Collie is focused on anything rather than wanting to work with the owner, we have used smelly treats, voice, clicker, ball, (squeaky) toy, removing him further away etc. Nothing is working.

Dog lunges out, pulls on the leash to get to objects, people, dogs and anything in the area, no matter how far it is. Lies down like a typical Collie and stays focused. No matter what you do, the dog does not give any reaction to your trainings exercises/aids, but just stays focused on whatever it is staring at...many times we humans can't even see what he is focused on as we a have been in an open empty field.

Suggestions needed: On how we can build up on the eye-to-eye contact, and to teach him to enjoy playing with the owner?

Would love to find something we can get this dog working with.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 08:24 PM
That's me stumped! I honestly thought this was going to be about 'Bats' you know those little winged creatures with faces like rats?

Fruit bats I am surrounded by here in Cyprus. Sweet tiny things.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
That's me stumped! I honestly thought this was going to be about 'Bats' you know those little winged creatures with faces like rats?

Fruit bats I am surrounded by here in Cyprus. Sweet tiny things.
Sorry but that made me laugh Tangutica!

And sorry I have no advice either!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 08:31 PM
No need to apologise. When I swim in the pool at dusk I feel like a character from a Disney movie with all these little flying creatures swirling round above me! (My daughter says it's a shame I can't train them to do the housework like they do in the Disney Movies!)

It's a very special moment when you are swimming slowly on your back in the pool and the swallows swoop down for a drink beside you too!

Ahh the simple things in life are the BEST!

Now to get this back on track to baseball bats or waddever!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
No need to apologise. When I swim in the pool at dusk I feel like a character from a Disney movie with all these little flying creatures swirling round above me! (My daughter says it's a shame I can't train them to do the housework like they do in the Disney Movies!)

It's a very special moment when you are swimming slowly on your back in the pool and the swallows swoop down for a drink beside you too!

Ahh the simple things in life are the BEST!

Now to get this back on track to baseball bats or waddever!
Oh don't! You've reminded me of my last holiday, which was 5 or 6 years ago in a villa in the outskirts of Rome...with an infinity pool ...with swallows dipping down to drink and feed in the day and bats in the evening. Lovely. I need another holiday!

Sorry OP...back to the other type of BAT!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Honestly you two completely derailing the thread! The only thing that's ever joined me for a drink was Bandit when I was having a bath

Anyway back on topic -

I take it the dog has been vet checked to make sure it's not seeing things?

Is the dog like this inside as well as outside?

When it gets to the object of it's focus is it satisfied or does it still completely focus? Does it change it's focus straight away to something new?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Am suitable admonished!

*when you wish upon a star .... makes no difference ... la la la
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Haha mad as ever T!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Not all dogs wish or want to make eye contact and to force yourself on them that way will make them retreat inside themselves.
I have that problem with a class I go to where the trainer is insistent on making eye contact, some of my girls will not do it and quite literally shrink from her, but she will not get the message, no matter how many times I explain. I find it most irritating and my girls are most uncomfortable with it.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry Wyrekin....I'll go and stand in the corner..but
But......
But......
Tangutica made me do it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >