Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tammy1976
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 08:14 PM

10 month old puppy peeing problem

My puppy has recently started peeing every time anyone goes near her. She has never been abused or smacked and until recently, about 8 weeks ago, she has never behaved this way. Any visitor's she greets by peeing all over the floor. She jumps up on the sofa to sit on our lap and pee's. She runs upstairs, dives on the bed, and pee's. If anyone bends down to fuss her she pee's and just putting her lead on makes her create a puddle!

It is driving us mad!

We have told all visitors to ignore the dog completely. We have stopped allowing her upstairs and she is not allowed in the main living room anymore incase she jumps up on the sofa. We have started crouching down a few feet in front of her before approaching her to give her a fuss but she still continues to pee no matter what we do!

I am getting so frustrated. I am trying my very best to stay calm and we do not punish her at all for peeing because I feel she will just lose even more confidence and the problem will just remain.

She is a tiny dog, cross pug/french bulldog. She is 10 months old. This all started as soon as she had finished her first season about 2 months ago. We will be getting her spayed in the future but not sure if that will help solve the problem. She has been housetrained since about 12 weeks and only had a handful of accidents since then. All her needles are up to date and she is also regularly wormed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have never had a dog do this before and I just don't know how to combat the problem.

Thanks in advance!
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-03-2013, 08:37 PM
It's nothing to do with house training. I think it's pure excitement and involuntary.
I'm not usually a person to suggest vet check as a first option but in this case the peeing sounds excessive from what you have said so perhaps there are other issues adding to the problem and a vet check could help.
milella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi my puppy is a 9 month old jack Russell, she also has this problem but only with really tall people, it's a combination of over excitement & being dominated hence she pee's I told my tall visitors to ignore her.Problem solved as far as my pup is concerned.
Try crouching down to your pups level & talking gently to her sounds like she has been scared in some way.
Tammy1976
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 09:03 PM
She is due her booster in a month ish so I was going to wait and see if anything changes between now and then but you're right I might just take her sooner.

We do always crouch down to her though but still that isn't helping
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Is she weeing more frequently at other times too? If so, maybe a urinary infection?

Also, if this has only happened post season, I think I would at least telephone the vet to run it by them to see what they think may be the cause
Tammy1976
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 09:16 PM
No she's not weeing more frequently at all. I did think it was a UTI but because she isn't going excessively I dismissed it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2013, 06:54 AM
If she was just weeks old it would be more understandable from the excitement point of view. But at 10 months all the dogs I've owned have been well housetrained.

Still now, with Bella 3yrs old, if we go out for her to pee and she sees someone she likes before she 'goes' I will call to them - she hasn't peed yet - don't pick her up! Or she might start peeing at their feet while they are over effusively greeting her! Her routine is to wait until we've reached the gutter before peeing however desperate she is. If she isn't desperate it will be further along the way.

How often are you taking her out to pee during the day/night? Your post does make it sound as if she pees all day!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2013, 08:00 AM
First off get a urine sample off to the vet. If shes sore & irritated in that area her control will be much diminished. Just because you think she hasnt got a UTI doesnt mean that she hasnt & think how you would feel if you had a bout of untreated cystitis!

Secondly if no medical problem is involved, involuntary wetting through excitement is a common problem in both dogs & bitches. The good news is that usually by the time they are about 18 months, it settles usually when the dog gains full muscle control.

http://www.webvet.com/main/2008/10/1...e-when-excited

Getting worried, upset, annoyed wont help, just accept & clean up.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2013, 08:25 AM
SmokeyBear told me a second fear stage starts at around that age (can't remember exactly the timings) but it could be that she is just going through that stage, I think you are doing well with the ignoring thing but maybe get visitors to ignore but drop little treats as they pass her, so she re-learns that visitors are good, also when you get the lead out maybe get her to sit and treat while you clip it on?
Tammy1976
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2013, 06:48 PM
She goes out regular in the day, at least once an hour in the garden when my partner goes outside for a ciggie and she gets at least 2 walks a day.

I have inspected her bits and there are no signs of irritation, swelling, infection. She looks fine. I am convinced she has no infection, in the past I have had a dog with a UTI who was very irritable and she kept licking her bits but my current dog shows no signs whatsoever of discomfort. I will however take her to the vets I think to rule out possible infection. I never get angry at her, shout or smack her because I know that will escalate the problem so I already just clean up and ignore it as hard as it is!

It does sound like she never stops peeing lol! but they are only little puddles, never a full wee, more a handful of dots or a line of wee where she has crouched and shuffled forward.

After reading the "submissive urination" link it appears to be spot on. My pup always crouches on approach amongst other signs that the article points out. I guess I'll just have to bare with it and follow all the tips to help her overcome it if that is indeed the problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >