Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 03:31 PM

Please try and make me feel better.....

A strange post but hoping that some people can make me feel a bit better and not so guilty at the moment. May seem a silly thing to some people but it's playing on my mind.
As you may know I have 2 bullmastiffs, 1 collie x , 1x Italian greyhound and an elderly greyhound.
Not had the best start to the year as you may have seen on another post my greyhound has been diagnosed with Lymphoma ( he has the t-cell type that doesn't respond very well to any chemo) because of his age, plus he is scared at vets and has always been very sensitive to a lot of drugs we decided to keep him just on steroids as chemo would not give much longer if it did anything and didn't want to risk him being off colour for a day or two and not eating as he has no reserves he is very thin now. In himself at the moment he is bright and eating well (due to steroids) but he tires quickly and I know we do not have that long. I have this week as holiday from work so I can spend some more time with him and my husband was off last week (due to weather) so has worked out quite well for our dear Norman.
Now my thing is as you may be aware I posted last summer time when there was a scuffle between dogs and they all (except Italian) attacked Norman, it was awful but he remarkably walked away with a small cut on his back from where he fell, several of you answered and Smokeybear kindly added that the mastiffs must have good bite inhabition which made me feel a lot better. Well (sorry for essay!) unfortunately about three weeks ago it happened again, unfortunately Ruby the female bullmastiff went to bark at a passer by Norman got up out of his bed to get out of the way and I noticed he tripped and fell and yelped, this triggered ruby to attack him and then Dexter (the male joined in) I'm afraid I completely panicked yes I did shout at them but I was more concerned to protect Norman, he was crying and had wet himself I was shielding him the best I could until I could get them two out of the way, Ruby backed off with me screaming at her and dexter I must have shouted and pushed him away as he looked like he was continually biting Norman. I managed to pick norman up and take him into another room and shut the door, I laid him down on a bed in there where he just lay there panting heavily, my self unfortunately was so distressed by this was sobbing, had palpitations and felt faint (have had palpitations in the past) at this point the mastiffs were going!! Even though I love them dearly, anyhow after 30 mins or so my husband arrives home and Norman jumps up to see him! Which was great and again all he had was a small nick on his neck! Once my husband realised things ok he was more concerned about his car! Grrrr! Men!
Once again ruby shortly after was wagging her tail and licking Norman and has been fine since. I take no chances though and if we are both out Norman has upstairs to himself so I know he's safe as he is obviously weaker now. OMG this is turning into a life story......sorry! The thing at the moment is Norman not up for long walks now, he tires quickly, so somedays he happily stays at home. On top of this my collie x has had a suspected cruciate injury so he has been rested, though it has improved greatly, basically to try and cut this shorter I'm sitting here feeling so guilty and a bad owner that they are all not being walked regularly at the moment.
There are fields I used to drive them all to where is nice and quiet and I was happy with them all on my own as they all hava good recall plus you can see others coming from along way off so I tend to avoid people I don't know anyway. But now Norman is ill there is no way I want to risk him in the back of the car with the others all excited jumping about in case he gets hurts or indeed a fight broke out, I've made a rod for my own back as I have always walked them as a group so now trying to get out in groups of two or three is difficult! As they all get so excited. Don't get me wrong they get a lot of attention and playtime in the garden but we have been a bit erratic of late with walks, now they don't seem particularly bothered but I feel that as I'm not walking them daily I'm a bad owner, it doesn't help that after this fight I've lost some confidence with the mastiffs, when my husbands at home I feel a lot more relaxed. We're all sitting in lounge now but I have curtains shut as Norman is in his bed and I don't want a passer by to trigger off anything! Don't really know what I'm expecting people to say! Just to say the mastiffs are in every other way very friendly and easy going never had problems with them out and about etc., in hindsight in the future I won't have two big dogs plus others, but they're are family so wouldn't change things now. Sorry for waffling hope you've not fallen asleep!

Thank you
Catherine xx
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Oh no Poor Norman

I've never been much good with words... so I'll send hugs and licks your way - hope things get better soon x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Stop beating yourself up, sh!t happens in life and we can't always stick to the same ole routine. If Norman is happy not going for a walk leave him at home or take him for a little plod around the block when your husband is home and can stop the rest of them creating a fuss because you dared to go out without them. Contrary to popular belief missing a walk won't do them any harm, they'll adapt.
As for Norman trying to get out of the way would he perhaps be better off in a large crate, he might feel less vulnerable and if the others kick off you could quickly shut the door on the crate keeping him safe.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2013, 04:53 PM
I think a crate where he can take himself away would be a good idea as well. Trouble is that they always pick on the injured/sick/weak one, it is their instincts to do this and Norman will know this, which is why he is trying to stay well clear. You are going to be upset anyway by what is going on,and your emotions are running riot.
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Thank you for replies, we have sectioned off upstairs with a stairgate as he always loves laying up there out of the way on either his own or our bed! He's nearly 13yrs and never been used to a crate, so hopefully upstairs gives him a safe haven. I know I am feeling emotional at the moment, the silly thing is I'm a veterinary nurse and can cope very caring and sensibly at work but when it's your own I go to pot! Do you think I'm right not stressing over regular walks at the moment then?
Thanks
Catherine
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Catherine, since my babies got this gastric bug that my big girls picked up whilst out walking, NONE OF THE BIG GIRLS HAS BEEN WALKED!!! They are peeved, and bored, but no big deal, they have each other. Never ever have my girls gone so long without a walk out every day, a swim in the river, training club, whatever. They have nothing, zilch, apart from the babies to organise. I daren't take the risk of them picking it up again and passing it along yet again to the little ones, so I have had to take somewhat drastic action.
You can't always do what is ideal, sometimes you have to do what is best for the circumstances you are in.
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Thank you Tawney wolf that's made me feel better and not so guilty.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I feel bad about it, but I certainly cannot afford another £700 vet bill, well my credit card can't anyway, so it is either take them out and risk it, or wait till Sasha goes next week and I am down to 2 babies and they will be 3 months, and then start walking them again. Well actually probably take them to a field, and stand back
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Please don't feel guilty - there is no way that you are a bad dog owner, and you have had a great deal to be stressed about. Poor Norman, no wonder you are in bits at the moment - I would be too. (I too used to be a vet nurse many many many moons ago!!)

I hope that you can find a satisfactory solution to all of this, but it does strike me that no matter how bad the attacks seem to be at the time (for both you and Norman), the damage is minimal.......the others are just basically being bullies, but not actually intent on doing any real harm. Still, it is enough for Norman to be frightened so anything that you can do to prevent it happening again has to be right. Including not taking him in the back of the car, etc.

Good luck, and cuddles for both of you
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Thank you Bitkin x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >