Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:39 PM

He's a bully!

Went for a nice walk around Edgebaston reservoir today, Kilo off lead as usual found a brick on the way in, so thats him occupied for the whole walk. (Theres a vid in videos showing his brick obsession)

I generally keep Asha on lead as she will eat or roll in anything, and she thinks everyone needs jumping on and that every dog wants to play. We round the first bend and what initially looks like a young staffy (head not split yet) comes bounding towards us, the same way Asha will bound towards dogs we see if she can. Now, to save me getting tied up by Ash bash running round me with this dog, me being 7 months pregnant an all, I decided to let her off before it reached us, risky I know, but hoping that being off lead this strange dog would be friendly.

Asha instantly bolts towards and then past said dog, who promptly follows her initiating her favorite game of chase. Kilo doesn't pay any attention to the dog, he's happy, he has a brick.

By this time the dogs owner has noticed and is coming towards us with his friend, both dogs still running around like loons, owner seems a bit worried, and says his dog can be a bully, I think he was expecting that if his dog actually caught up with Ash, it would turn nasty. Well, Ash suddenly stopped running and turned to face her chaser, which she will do during the chase, as if to do the whole 'ner ner you cant catch meeee' thing, but as he was right on her tail they were suddenly nose to nose, both kinda froze for a sec, then the chase continued, both dogs thoroughly enjoying themselves, at which point the owner of the dog said 'oh' and was then happy to let Ash tire his dog out.

Turns out the dog is 2 years old, and is staffy with some retriever in him. Owners friend then asked about Kilo and his markings and as to whether he was a full staff, asking whether maybe there was some blue heeler in him.

I never asked why, if he knew his dog could be a bully, was it off the lead, but then again, I have Kilo off the lead, knowing he can be the same, but I know Kilo will ignore a dog in the distance, and freeze if he see's one closer, sometimes coming to me to be put on the lead before being asked... Had me wondering, is there anyone that can honestly say they're 100% responsible as dog owners 100% of the time

Anyhow
A short vid of some of the walk (45 secs)

Nicely knackered doggies

Then Ash shuffled and Kilo stretched
MINIMUM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
looks like a lovely walk. In response to your question...most of the time my dogs do as they are told BUT once in a while they behave out of character not sure why - maybe a personality clash with another dog - but then again we as humans don't behave 100% good ALL of time do we so are expecting too much from our canine companions? ....what do you do with all the bricks Kilo picks up? LOL
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Awwww it's so nice when that happens. Sounds like they had a wonderful walk.
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by MINIMUM View Post
....what do you do with all the bricks Kilo picks up? LOL
When we still lived at my parents house, my dad used them as weights to hold the tarpaulin (sp?) down over his bikes outside. We did end up with more than necessary though

Here there are currently 17 that I can see (just stuck my head out of the window and counted )

They'll probably be cleared by the gardeners when they come to cut the grass this spring. They took about the same amount last autumn, to Kilo's annoyance

It was a nice walk, and thanks to bully dog tiring Bash out, when I had her back on lead it was a leisurely walk rather than a pull me along one, not fun with braxtons hicks

I wanna meet a 'happy to chase Bash' dog every day
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Parker's turned into a "bully" when he sees Staffies on the park/heath as he doesn't like them due to being bitten by one and a lot of negative experiences sadly. Given the chance he would wuff at them and chase them away-even if they're being perfectly friendly.

To avoid this happening if I see a Staffy I recall him and put him on the lead. Not rocket science is it?!

I don't think he is breed prejudiced as when we met a really calm, friendly one on the park once he was fine and interacted nicely and normally, as he does with other breeds of dog. However, they usually charge at his head from a long distance away and I think he doesn't like this and it brings out the "Inner Kerry" in him!

Nice to hear your dog got on well with interaction with the other dog anyway.