View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 10:50 AM

What supplements do you add to your dog's diet?

and why?

I give my 2 vetzyme high strength flexible joint tabs with Glucosamine to help their hips

but what else could I give?

Zak has severd HD and a terrible coat he is 8 and has been neutured, Zeita is 2 1/2 healthy perfect coat and spayed.

What would you recommend to keep them in tip top condition?

Both fed Arden grange kibble with some butchers tripe mixed in for good measure

thanks

Mel xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Mine are fed raw and I give them a glucosamine tablet daily plus Flynn gets some kind of dried seaweed and a Vetzyme coat conditioning tablet daily. He suffers terrible itchy dry skin and it seems to ease it in the main part.

I've heard seaweed is very good but as mine get RMB's, it's a bit difficult for me to put it on their food, made harder by the fact they dont like the stuff!

You could also try feeding a bit of oily fish like mackerel or sardines.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:46 AM
My two are fed raw and get a glucosamin, chondroitin and MSM tablet in each meal (well Harls gets one, Jess gets two), and they also get a few squirts of salmon oil in their meals. Their coats are always soft and glossy
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Leon gets Cosequin which is a mix of Glucasomine and Chrondatrin, he also had arnica, devils claw and green-lipped mussel extract over a period of time but as I was struggling to get him to eat I had trouble getting them all into him,so just stuck with the Cosequin and the Bionic Biotic for his tummy.

He isn't having anything now, just his a/b's and the painkiller Tramadol.

If/when I get another dog I will certainly start it on the Cosequin at an early age, just to try to prevent what has happened to my poor old lad happening again.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:08 PM
What do these additives do?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't give any.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
What do these additives do?
The ones I was giving my boy were all to help with joints, inflammation and pain.

The Bionic Biotic was recommended to me by someone on here and that helps with his constant bad tummy caused by his arthritis meds.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I give flax oil for their coats and skin. I don't use fish oils because it makes their coats soft and they are supposed to be harsh. I also give garlic capsules as an all round health supplement and flea prevention and I just started giving Rio Easy Green from Dorwest to prevent hot spots. I feed half raw meaty bones, one quarter muscle meat and kibble as a mixer. They also get natural yogurt, good for the gut and a nice treat for them.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:46 PM
With Remy she had seraquin which is a combo of glucosamine and chrondroitin and something else...
The gang now have Yumega blue oil and garlic everyday, the yumega is for Deacon's skin and so they all have it and the garlic well it wards off fleas and worms.
I will be adding evening primrose oil to Deacons food soon, also for his skin and once they reach 5/6 I will be giving them some green lipped muscle extract for their joints.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Luchi is fed raw, and as she is a growing large breed I also supplement her with Canine Joint-Right which contains Glcosamine, Chondroitin Sulphate,, MSM, HA, Omega 3 antioxidant vitamins E & C. I also give her a little hemp oil.

Her coat is gorgeous, and everyone who strokes her always comments on it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >