View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Joint Care Supplements - advice and recommendations, please.

Hello,

Molly will be 6 years in a couple of weeks and Roxy is 8 1/2 years. Although neither are showing any signs of joint discomfort at the moment, I would like to add a supplement to their food at tea times now. I'm hoping this will care for their joints now and help aid them a bit in later life.

Obviously there are plenty of lotions and potions out there, and I know glucosamine and chondroitin are helpful. However, I want to know if any of you use joint care supplements and if so, which ones do you use, have you had success with them and noticed a marked difference in your dogs.

Also, I'd like to know which ones to avoid and what products you haven't seen any good results with.

Many thanks in advance, all.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Ones I have used (or known used)

Joint Aid -
Very good results all round but I have used the Equine Joint aid plus instead of the canine one - pricing issues.

VetVits -
Reccommened by the Chiropracter I use (very cheap from Healthspan) Used on my guys - no noticable difference...

Devils Claw (again an equine one)
Made a huge difference to Jasper.

Corteflex -
Can be fantastic, but have had other who have had no difference with it at all. Apparently this is to do with the type of Glucosomine they use in it. Again it is quite n expenisve one - but with only one or small dogs shouldnt be too bad.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 10:12 AM
i have a big interest in nutricuticles(sp,im not awake properly yet!)
there are alot of products out there,some not as good as others,i have found through studies with clients and personal use,that the best product in my opinion is 'stride'
it contains glucosamine hc,chondroiton sulphate and 'methylsulfonylmethane' which alot of other products do not it is also very palatable.
if you wish, i can pm you the reps no
eta.if your dog is on a good diet,i personaly would not interfere just yet i wouldnt add anything to a six year old dogs food 'just in case' most of the n.c's are helping to replace the natural 'joint fliud' that can depleat but if your dog is showing no signs,i would hold off,as when/if it does happen you will have only the options of 'meds' left
hope thats helped a little?!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Thank you very much to the both of you. I'll be looking in to all the suggested options.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi, our boy Charlie was 12 years old and had joint problems, we gave him those chews you can get cant remember what they are called but they were like beef flavour and you could get different kinds depending on size of your dog ie small , medium and large, it worked for him and you can get them from tesco etc.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Hi, our boy Charlie was 12 years old and had joint problems, we gave him those chews you can get cant remember what they are called but they were like beef flavour and you could get different kinds depending on size of your dog ie small , medium and large, it worked for him and you can get them from tesco etc.
easeflex?? oops sorry they are vet grade ones(the supermarket/petshop treat options dont really contain enough active ingredients.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Without any shadow of a doubt, for me it has been Synoquin.

Synoquin is only available from your vet and costs mega bucks (£70 for 120 capsules) but is an amazing product.

If it wasn't for Synoquin and his prescription medication, Benson would now be crippled.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

Synoquin is only available from your vet and costs mega bucks (£70 for 120 capsules) but is an amazing product.

If it wasn't for Synoquin and his prescription medication, Benson would now be crippled.
good ole n.c's
its not the product that is important,but the levels and grade of the 'active' ingredients
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
i too use synoquin it is amazing, my pup has hip displaysia and it works wonders in easing her movement.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Thanks for that, I know the ones you mean. Glad they worked for your boy.

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

It's good to know this has had positive results with your Benson, Hammer. Definitely one to consider for later on in their lives. At the moment I'm looking for supplements that I can add to their meals now to help them on their road to old age.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >