Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tess140
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2017, 12:12 PM

What kind of dog should I get?

I've been thinking about getting a dog for about a year now, and have recently started to look for my future best friend. But the problem is I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. For a while I thought the eurasier would be a good fit, but now I feel like the breed might not be so perfect for me.

I want my dog to have lots of will to please and be easily motivated. I prefer it being reserved toward strangers and have low prey drive. I would really like to try agility with the dog, and if it's a fit it would be fun to attend competitions. At the same time, I do not want a dog who will go crazy if we take it chill for a few days.
For the mental stimulation we would do tricks and maybe some tracking.
A typical day would look something like this:
- 30 min walk or run in the morning
- A few shorter walks during the day
- 1 hour of training in the afternoon (agility, tracking, obedience ect.) Some days this would be switched for a run or a hike.

Breeds I've been looking on beside the eurasier are tolling retriever, australian shepherd, kelpie, golden retriever and welsh springer spaniel. The aussie seems like a really nice dog, but I'm just scared of taking on more than I can handle.

What do you think? Which dog breed should I get?
I'm very thankfull for all the help I can get!
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2017, 01:54 PM
What kind of home are you offering, do you have a partner or maybe some children. Do you work full or part time. Do you live in a house with a garden or maybe a flat.
If you do not really know which breed of dog you actually want to "fit" into your life maybe you should not rush into this decision, but to continue looking and meeting if possible, some of the breeds that you have mentioned, and talk to some owners who can discuss first hand knowledge and information about the individual breeds.

You are going to make a long term decision, I hope you make the correct decision for the sake of your potential new friend.
Tess140
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2017, 02:16 PM
I'm 18 and still living with my parents. There are no children in our family or among our friends. We live in a small house with the forest and open fields just right outside the door. I'm studying animal care during the weeks, so the dog would be alone about 4 hours a day.

You're totally right that I shouldn't rush into something. At the same time I feel like this is the right time for me to finally get that dog that I've been wishing for since I was a little kid. But of course I don't want to make the wrong decision!
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2017, 08:06 AM
I saved my wages and bought my first dog when I was 17. With parental consent !!
I had my own car and worked on the some of the local farms, my little dog (a cocker spaniel) came everywhere with me and was never left at home. What ever I did and where ever I went my dog was with me!
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Its not a problem leaving an adult dog alone for four hours generally . Your home sounds ideal .

A couple of thoughts , will your parents willing help look after your dog at times when you are not there. Also at 18 , your plans in life will change and your dog will live for over 12 years at least so you need to think about that .
ShaeShae
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
Its not a problem leaving an adult dog alone for four hours generally . Your home sounds ideal .

A couple of thoughts , will your parents willing help look after your dog at times when you are not there. Also at 18 , your plans in life will change and your dog will live for over 12 years at least so you need to think about that .
I agree with this person, also take into mind, the type of dogs that are generally good with agility and all that jazz can tend to be hyper active dogs. Probably looking at a medium to large dog also. So how willing are you to go on size? Are you open to mixed or just purebreds?