Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2017, 07:36 AM

Expecting a fake claim against my dog

We have a 20mth old golden retriever, he is very big, happy, friendly, bouncy and like alot of goldies rather clumsy. Yesterday a strange thing happened which has unnerved us and I hope I'm worrying over nothing but want to prepare for what might come. DH was walking Moji in the fields when he came across a chap with a dog he'd played with once before, so let Moji off the lead. They ran around in circles as usual, then M brushed the side of the young lady's knee (was with the other man) as he passed - no obvious impact. There was a delay before she collapsed demonstratively to the ground & started moaning. Dh eventually caught both dogs, apologised profusely, the man helped her up & she walked away rubbing her back. Dh was so troubled by the ladies odd behaviour that he wrote down all the details while it was fresh & emailed me with it. Now we wait. I know the law has tightened up on dog behaviour and the law, all the info I can find is previous to the changes, does anyone have any knowledge of our rights should this blow up and be their word against DH?
What particularly worries me is that last year Mojo DID run into my friend's knee & she limped for days, we now joke about it, but us village dog walkers meet up & chat, so this woman probably knows about it.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-07-2017, 08:20 AM
The onus of proof is on the lady that she was injured. Did she see a DR or go to hospital, did she take any photos of her injury. Did she report this to the police and get a crime report number.
Did she have any independent witnesses who have made a statement to the police.
Can she prove it is your dog anyway that supposedly knocked her down
There is your answer
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear this , I think she would need medical evidence to back up her claim.
If your dog has insurance , she might be covered for 3rd party damage then the insurance would deal with it .
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
The onus of proof is on the lady that she was injured. Did she see a DR or go to hospital, did she take any photos of her injury. Did she report this to the police and get a crime report number.
Did she have any independent witnesses who have made a statement to the police.
Can she prove it is your dog anyway that supposedly knocked her down
There is your answer
Yes agree completely, you are worrying over nothing, and it annoys me that society is now so litigation orientated, everything has to be somebody elses fault If some idiot goes to park where there are bound to be dogs they have a duty to watch what's going on around them.

When we first got Casey he had a tendancy to run up to other dogs, once met a two ladies with one dog on a lead, Casey and the other dog were running around and the lead wound around the ladies legs and she went down, only herself to blame. She got up and walked away so I took the view that she was not injured and walked off in the opposite direction

Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
If your dog has insurance , she might be covered for 3rd party damage then the insurance would deal with it .
But why do you think insurance premiums are forever going up Claims that should never be made (even if the insurance company doesn't pay) all add to the premiums so I might end up paying more. I object to that.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2017, 08:17 AM
If your hubby and the other dog walker agreed that the dogs could be let off to play, then there shouldn't be a problem. The risk was accepted by both parties. Had your dog bitten, it would be different, but it looks to me like all concerned accepted any risks associated with off-lead play
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
[
When we first got Casey he had a tendancy to run up to other dogs, once met a two ladies with one dog on a lead, Casey and the other dog were running around and the lead wound around the ladies legs and she went down, only herself to blame. She got up and walked away so I took the view that she was not injured and walked off in the opposite direction
So the ladies dog was on a lead under control and your's wasn't and shes to blame .

Really ? In the eyes of the law , if this lady had been hurt then your dog would have been to blame .

Dogs running up to other dogs like this are at the very least a nuisance, and its inconsiderate to let your dog do this .
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by kitla View Post
We have a 20mth old golden retriever, he is very big, happy, friendly, bouncy and like alot of goldies rather clumsy. Yesterday a strange thing happened which has unnerved us and I hope I'm worrying over nothing but want to prepare for what might come. DH was walking Moji in the fields when he came across a chap with a dog he'd played with once before, so let Moji off the lead. They ran around in circles as usual, then M brushed the side of the young lady's knee (was with the other man) as he passed - no obvious impact. There was a delay before she collapsed demonstratively to the ground & started moaning. Dh eventually caught both dogs, apologised profusely, the man helped her up & she walked away rubbing her back. Dh was so troubled by the ladies odd behaviour that he wrote down all the details while it was fresh & emailed me with it. Now we wait. I know the law has tightened up on dog behaviour and the law, all the info I can find is previous to the changes, does anyone have any knowledge of our rights should this blow up and be their word against DH?
What particularly worries me is that last year Mojo DID run into my friend's knee & she limped for days, we now joke about it, but us village dog walkers meet up & chat, so this woman probably knows about it.
It's something I worry about a bit too.
Not so much the litigation side. Just that, like your Moji, our Max is a big fellow. We live close to a school and he loves children. He could easily knock one over. Some of the kids have fun pretending that he did and they all love him to bits.

If I had any concern, it would be with the parents taking a dim view. For this reason, we avoid walking him locally at school times.

I wish you luck. And I'm with the others here. With no evidence I think there is no case to answer.