View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed (book)

I have heard people on forums recommending this book to others and am considering buying it.

Ace sometimes gets over excited when he meets new people/dogs. Also sometimes in training when he is praised, I try to keep my praise calm but sometimes he knows he has done what I want and seems so proud of himself he gets a bit silly and loses focus.

Also when out on walks, I sometimes struggle to keep from running off to other people and dogs in front of us. He doesn't bother if they are behind us but if they are in front he tries to take off to see them. At the moment I call him back and put him on lead until we pass them or they get quite away in front of us. I don't let him pull on the lead so when this happens I am constantly having to stop until he comes back to heel, I always make sure he doesn't get anywhere if he pulls. He has also never bogged off and ignored his recall command but sometimes it can take more commands than I feel comfortable with to get him back if that makes sense.

Would this book help me with these issues? Just to add in training class he is excellent, focus is very good, ignores other dogs when working and lays down and chills out while not working. We are starting outside classes in a few weeks so I am hoping these will help, as at the moment I think he has learn't that he only has to have self control inside. I do training on walks but where I walk we don't tend to meet other dogs or people so it is never with a distraction.

I would generally like to teach him some impulse control anyway but not sure how to start, would the book be good for that?

Thanks
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 06:57 PM
I had a peek on Amazon and it has good reviews. Apparently you need to be familiar with clicker training and some of the exercises are agility type but you don't need the equipment. I may just add this book to my wish list but it getting longer and longer

How old is Ace?
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I had a peek on Amazon and it has good reviews. Apparently you need to be familiar with clicker training and some of the exercises are agility type but you don't need the equipment. I may just add this book to my wish list but it getting longer and longer

How old is Ace?
Thanks egroeg, Ace is 6 months. I ordered my copy yesterday
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-01-2013, 12:26 PM
I hope its good at that price
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I hope its good at that price
It was £20 including delivery, didn't think it was too bad.
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Anyone got any more information on Leslie McDevitts techniques? And how it helps reactive dogs?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Basically it uses a counter intuitive method by encouraging a dog to LAT (look at that) and then reinforce the absence of reactivity.

It requires a basic understanding of thresholds however.