Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Sorry Wyrekin....I'll go and stand in the corner..but
But......
But......
Tangutica made me do it!
Rubbish! Honestly miss it was a big girl made me do it and I'm not mentioning names but starts with a C ....
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Rubbish! Honestly miss it was a big girl made me do it and I'm not mentioning names but starts with a C ....
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2013, 10:01 PM
I'd begin the look at me training at home first for loads of training sessions. I prefer to use the dog's name for attention but begin with just the clicker and reward attention or.............perhaps better still would be Kikopup's positive interrupter to get the dogs attention.

http://dogmantics.com/2010/03/21/how...cker-training/

Finding what floats his boat and using that as a reward would probably be the way to go. Tricky though, when the collie doesn't seem interested even with squeaky toys. Have you tried a sheepskin bungee?

George (GSD) often drops and freezes when he sees another dog. If I was unsure of the approaching dog, I'd panic because I couldn't get him to move for love nor money. I found that making an "Ooooooooooooh!" noise (my +ve interrupter noise) and when he looked at me,whip a toy out of my bag as his reward. That usually breaks the focus on the other dog and he will move. I have BTW been using that noise for as long as I can remember so it will take some working on in fun situations.

Just a little off track. Our Lab, Zoe, does not like giving eye contact, she has to though for access to things she wants eg going out, dinner etc. I say to hubby that she looks at me with respectful insolence and she's no teenager, LOL
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Hi Fabi - someone might have already said this, so forgive me if I'm repeating something.

I would get a very valued treat to waist height and hold it, if it's highly valued he will look at it - click and treat, keep repeating and slowly over time raise to chest height, throat and finally face. that's how I got my dog to do it.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I wonder if putting the collie on a herding class would help. Maybe she just needs a job and may be more receptive afterwards.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 05:22 PM
To go back to the OP I am afraid it sounds like you do not actually understand the BAT system, as it is not necessary for the dog to look at you.

I would suggest you read the book again or attend a course so that you fully understand the system you are trying to implement.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2