View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wuzzles
New Member!

06-02-2005, 10:54 PM

fussy eater

Arghh, can any body offer me some advise ?

I have an 11 month old Am Cocker Bitch who simply does not seem to like any food for more than a couple of days. I have tried complete (several different), meat & biscuits and at the moment she is on another variant of the Pedigree pouches.

The problem being is she is a small bitch anyway and does not seem to like any food once the novelty value has gone.

We have tried not feeding her and she went for a week and just lost a vast amount of weight.

Any suggestions ??

Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Hello, your girl has you well trained

I think that a large part of the problem may be the fact that you are changing foods so often in an attempt to get her to eat. She had worked out that if she turns her nose up at what is offered then you will offer something different.

I assume you are feeding twice a day so, decide what you want her to eat. Put her food down and give her 20mins to eat it. If she doesn't eat it, pick it up and give her NOTHING ELSE until the next mealtime. If she refuses it again then repeat the process until she learns that she either eats what she is given or she simply goes hungry. Nothing else means no chews, no bones, no treats, water only to drink (no milk). If you are training her and need to use food rewards then set aside a portion of her daily food ration and use this.

A healthy dog will not starve itself. If you keep trying to tempt her to eat you will be a slave to her appetite for the rest of her life.

Edited to add: I am assuming that you have no reason to suspect that there could be an underlying medical condition causing her to refuse food.
wuzzles
New Member!

07-02-2005, 08:28 AM
i made it sound as if i always change her food(hubby wrote last nights message as i was scared ! ) she has had burns compleate that is what my older dogs have and pedigree pouches,i would prefer her on the burns as the pouches get expensive,but its as if she doesnt like biscuits what ever type.medical problems none have had here checked as i was worried,mind you this morning she did eat all of her breakfast a pouch and pasta,pasta as i am trying to put some weight on,thanks for you reply
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2005, 08:35 AM
I had the same problem with all of our dogs - 3 Border collie's, one - Glem he went for nearly two weeks without food, we had him checked by the vet twice once when he wouldn't eat and then after the two weeks, he said we would have to give in, he was losing too much weight, we had to start using a potion from crufts to make him eat, and that struggle went on for 16 years. the other one wouldn't eat either - we had similiar problems with him, they both preferred home cooked broth!

Now my Blackie he won't eat anything apart from the small tray's of Cesar, he won't have the big one's at all.

Ian
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Wuzzles, I have American Cockers too. Although my lot are not fussy, I agree with Shadowboxer, you must be absolutely tough (on yourself) Dont give in to her, I know it's easier said than done, but unless you do this problem will not go away.

She will not starve herself I promise you. She will make you suffer though, so get tough. The stock advice for this is, leave down the food you want her to eat for 20 minutes, then take it away, don't give it back till the next mealtime, again only leave it for 20 minutes. She may go on being manipulative for quite a long time, but only you can decide who's going to win this tussle.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Dawn R.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Firstly welcome wuzzles ,come and say' hello' in 'introductions' yep, agree with the other but would like to add one thing if I may, if you are in the habit of standing to watch don't put the food down with a minimum of fuss I wouldn't even speak..and leave her, then return and remove what is left..again with a minimim of fuss don't speak to her ..don't make a drama of mealtimes people do this with children too..big mistake . Burns is excellent, have you tried the venison/rice, most dogs love that.
wuzzles
New Member!

07-02-2005, 11:25 AM
My boys are on the burns fish and brown rice and i cant fault it they all look wonderful,i dint make a fuss as i dont have time with other dogs and kids,could it be she doesnt like biscuit ?????? i know there is some very good quality wet food on the market but this does concern me with her teeth,she has bones,chews ect and i clean them,what do you all think off just feeding a wet diet ? as i feel she would eat this.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi again Wuzzles, everyone has their own idea about 'the best' dog food, but if you are looking for a high quality wet food, I would give Nuaturediet a go. It's complete, so no need for biscuit. It's what I give my Yankees. I find they enjoy it and the poos are small and firm.

Naturediet comes in plastic trays for about 63p each from Pets at Home. If you buy in bulk from the manufacturer, it can be 50p a tray.

Dawn R.

How is your bitch bred? Mine are Afterglow.

Bye
wuzzles
New Member!

07-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Dawn,all of mine are sanrogue,so do yours have any mixer in with theres ? i have 3 at the moment but am trying to convince the hubby to have a 4th,2 buffs and a black and tan,
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:57 AM
When you say you didn't feed her do you mean not at all?
Would agree with SB but wouldn't leave food down for 20 mins...with a fussy dog 5 mins is ample .
I have had a dog starve himself for up to 3-4 dyas at a time and had to resort to 'harder' methods but they worked...he now eats EVERY day and then 'asks' for more!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >