Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Quality of life for older dogs

What would you consider as a good 'quality of life' for an older dog?

I'm getting increasing worried about my old girl
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that.

For me, a good quality of life is that they do all the things they love to do, in moderation at least.

I often think about our Zeke who is fighting cancer (in remission for now) and when the cancer comes back and we have to let him go...

The day he stops wanting to go for his walks, doesn't want a brush, doesn't snuggle up for his hugs, stops howling when we return home, doesn't eat his favourite foods and I just hope I can 'see it in his eyes' like people say you can
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Being pain free, responding to and having highlights such as social interactions, food, toys, being able to move sufficiently for their needs e.g being able to get out to toilet, even if they are no longer up to walks as such.

Also being free to quietly stay on the sidelines and watch life pass by, without being hassled to participate, if that isn't their "thing".

What is it about your dog that is causing you worry?
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:28 PM
She's 17 now, she sometimes struggles to get up and needs help, she doesn't really want to go for walks any more but also seems fairly happy to play with toys and go for a pootle around the front garden.
She's recently been going to the toilet in the house a lot, she has always been a clean 'proud' girl and I always said I would let her go when she couldn't go the toilet properly as she wouldn't like it, and just before posting this thread I sat down on the mat for a cuddle with her and she didn't lick me like she usually does. But she has been trying to round up the chickens in the garden this weekend and sometimes she looks so bright and alert. It's breaking my heart to see her like this
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Sweep went very quickly

at 14 he still enjoyed walks (albeit with half an hour as the maximum he'd manage), still enjoyed food, was fully mobile, no incontinence.

He had a stroke, and then could barely walk, struggled to eat and drink, struggled to stand long enough to go to the toilet. He was pts asap after that.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I vaguely remember that there was a famous vet or trainer who did an article on quality of life but can't remember who I did find this though if it helps..
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...ife-scale.aspx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:38 PM
She will tell you when it is time, trust her.

I know that doesn't sound helpful but it is true.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:59 PM
For me if the dog is still generally enjoying things, is pain free and is reasonably mobile then I wouldn't put to sleep.

Shadow was a very clean dog but ended up somewhat incontinent at 7 years old due to what we think was something like a stroke. He did get upset at accidents when they happened but not to the extent it affected his quality of life if you know what I mean. It was a few minutes of upset, not the end of the world. His mobility wasn't great, he needed help getting up at times, couldn't run without falling and had to be helped up and down stairs, but he could go for short walks and clearly enjoyed them. He still played with his toys, still enjoyed his food, still managed to run off whenever my ex took him for a walk and was generally happy. I felt he had a good enough quality of life despite his problems. Strangers who simply saw him fall over or saw that he had problems didn't agree but they didn't live with him to see exactly how his life was.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 03:17 PM
You will know when the time is right, she will tell you. Sending you hugs x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I find it`s different for different dogs. You know your dog best. But in the end, I`ve always found that they let you know when they have had enough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >