View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Bella growled at my daughter's friend....

So,this afternoon we went to the little park after I picked the kids up from school. There is a little playground that the kids were playing in and then a field that I play a bit of ball and do some training on with Bella.Anyway, today one of my daughters friends (5) kept coming up to Bella and was very much in her face...anyway, Bella was fine with her....then she went to take her ball off her,and I asked her not to...explained it wasn't a good idea to be so full on with a dog you didnt know...and that Bella could sometimes be a bit unhappy if strangers snatched her ball...etc(at this point the little girls mum was way over the other side of the playground chatting to another mum and oblivious to what her daugher was doing.... )
Anyway, later on when we were going I had Bella on her lead, and she was lying down with her ball between her front paws,I had just turned round to strap my son into his buggy when I heard Bella growl. I spun round to see the little girl drop her ball and laugh and run off My older daughter said she just ran up to her and took it off her.
Now I'm actually really upset about this. Bella is always fine around kids, or has been...she does love her ball, but I can always take it off her no problems, and our older children do although I do always stop the younger ones trying to....
Part of me feels that this was a perfectly natural reaction- a stranger is stealing her beloved ball and she is telling them not to. But part of me thinks this could be a problem I need to work on???
I must add that Bella will often growl to show general displeasure...but really it doesnt seem aggressive IYSWIM. for example she'll growl if I dont share my cake with her(Not that I ever reward her for this by giving in LOL) or sometimes if DH wont play with her....but it really is more a sort of "I'm not impressed" growl....
She will do a low rumbling growl if someone tries to stroke or play with her when she is asleep or tired on her bed(YES, I know ...everyone has been told not to do this...but my 12 yr old son just seems to keep forgetting! )
The only time she does a really menacing sounding growl is when there is a cat in the garden....

So...is this,as I think, just part of her way of comunicating...or does it indicate an underlying problem that could lead to aggressive behaviour?

(just to add, she has never bitten, or made any attempt to ever....)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I would not beat your self up about htis to be honest. I would however make sure that the girls mum is told that her daughter did not respect your rules regarding Bella and could she speak to her about it. I would also make sure that items like balls which are high value and she can obviously be possessive over are not around with children there unless you are in total control of the situation.

I would interpret it as natural behaviour which could easily be managed on future trips to the park by taking the above steps.

Fudge can be possessive over her tennis balls and so if there are other dogs around when playing I laways put it in my pocket, that way any situation is avoided.

Hope that helps?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I really feel for you, and will be shot down for this I know but I blame the child's mother, and the child, not your dog.

There are limits beyond which no dog should be pushed, no matter how good natured and until children are taught in no uncertain terms to respect dogs then this upsetting sort of incident will always happen.

All I can suggest is to keep Bella away from children that you do not trust to behave. It's not her fault.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
II would also make sure that items like balls which are high value and she can obviously be possessive over are not around with children there unless you are in total control of the situation.

I would interpret it as natural behaviour which could easily be managed on future trips to the park by taking the above steps.

Fudge can be possessive over her tennis balls and so if there are other dogs around when playing I laways put it in my pocket, that way any situation is avoided.

Hope that helps?
totaly agree with all of the above,
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I don't think you have a problem at all. It's a good thing that Bella comminuates with you so well - a lot of dog's either don't or their owners don't pick up on it.

Whatever you do, don't stop Bella from growling though because it could lead to one day something similar happening where she may bite if pushed too far without any verbal warning first.

I'd agree with the other posters too - if the little girl ran off laughing after taking Bella's ball, then clearly she has no respect for Bella or your rules regarding contact with Bella. I do think you need to have a word with her Mother and put it as bluntly as possible. Bella gave a warning to begin with. To steal a ball from a dog who clearly isn't happy with previous behaviour from this girl is askng for trouble and one day she WILL get bitten; maybe not by Bella but certainly if she continues behaving like this around strange dogs.
It may also be worth pointing out that shout this happen, you will certainly NOT have Bella destroyed as a result of the bad behaviour of someone else's offspring. At the end of the day, if you can train Bella to be sociable, friendly, well behaved when out and about, why can't people do it with their kids?

I also agree that the Mother and the little girl were to blame. The adult should have taught her to either ask nicely if a strange dog is friendly and to keep their distance until they know for sure it's OK to say hello, or jus tto stay away from all strange dogs. Even moreso in hot sunny weather when it's so easy for dogs to get niggly when they get hot and bothered.

My Son is 5 years old and is well aware that if he wants to approach another person's dog (even if he knows the dog), he has to ask first to make sure it's OK. After all, what if Bella had been unwell, or feeling out of sorts?

So in a nutshell - I don't think you have any problems with Bella at all. I think the little girl has problems because her parents haven't bothered to teach her anythign about dogs (although some people may not know anything about dogs) but with a dog in the same local area as her daughter, the Mother should at least have been watching even if she was some distance away.

Laura xx
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I would not beat your self up about htis to be honest. I would however make sure that the girls mum is told that her daughter did not respect your rules regarding Bella and could she speak to her about it. I would also make sure that items like balls which are high value and she can obviously be possessive over are not around with children there unless you are in total control of the situation.

Hope that helps?
I agree with this too.
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I also was thinking that it was good that Bella growled to show her unhappiness generally, as it was her way of comunicating, and I didnt want to stop her previously as I thought that taking away a valuable means of communication from her was more likely to lead her to move straight to snap or even bite in future......do others agree with this?
I am annoyed at this girl though too.Well more at her mother tbh. Would you believe this girl actually has a dog as well! A huge chocoalte lab that I sometimes see taking the mother for a walk around near school ! I am always SO careful with my kids around other dogs. They all know (well maybe not the 2yr old but then he is always right next to me)NEVER to approach another dog unless 1.I am with them, and 2.the owner agrees first. I ALWAYS watch where my kids are in the playground, and would always shout them to stop if they approached another dog.
I have had to really drill this into the 4 year old as I was worried thatherbeing so used tohaving Bella who loves to play she may assume all dogs do....even stillI have always taught her about not taking things off Bella too....

I will definitely take the advice about not bringing her ball, or at least going to another area of the field away fromt he playgrond to play with her.I do normally take her ball off her before putting her back on lead...not sure why I didnt last night .I'm begining to miss the winter when we were the only family in the park LOL