Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2007, 01:23 AM

Advice Please - Castration

Hi

I'm sorry if this sounds niaive but I have never had a male dog castrated before. I had to have Harvey castrated on Monday as Tess has a vaginal infection and I have been advised by the vet that she should have a season first before neutering so after 2 years Harvey went in for the chop.

Anyway to get to the point, I was wondering if anyone remembers how their dogs were after their op. Harveys testicles look extremely red and he is clearly very uncomfortable and is groaning more than usual. He finds it difficult to lie down. Is this normal? I was going to ring the vet tomorrow but I wondered if I'm being an over anxious mum!

Thanks

Sarah
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Sorry I can't offer much advise never has a neutered male either, I'd get it checked by the vet though just to be on the safe side, if its red he may have developed a small infection.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 03:03 AM
felix was very sore and uncomfortable afterwards - i think the older they are the harder they take it for being sore and in pain
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 06:09 AM
Len was de-plummed, and did feel a bit sorry for himself. However, I didn't notice any undue redness - at least not more than I considered would be normal, taking an educated guess - so, IMO, if you're worried about your boy, a quick call to the vet will probably put your mind at rest.

Hope he's back to normal soon

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 06:24 AM
hi Sarah
I would take him to the vet.
After 4 days there shouldn't be significant redness and the pain shuld have eased off.
Is he peeing etc comfortably?

My last pup had really red, angry, swollen scrotum post castration and apparently if they are 'well endowed' (as he was) they can often get more sore...it is easier for the vet to nick a tiny blood vessel on the way out of there too...it's one of those things. My boy was absolutely fine after a few days on metacam. Not saying this is what's wrong with your boy, it could be anything or nothing, but I would say it is best to have him checked.

Hope this helps. x
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 06:28 AM
The redness and soreness may becaused by licking and bruising, but its worth a phone call to your vet. Ive known some dogs not bother at all with no bruising or redness but obviously if they start to lick their wound and scrotum, it will irritate so they lick even more thats when it becomes a viscious circle,
hope he is soon better

Jeanette
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Hi there, I hope Harvey is feeling better today. Basically you've already been given some great advice already, and after 4 days there shouldn't really be redness and much swelling. He may of course be licking and irritating the empty scrotum or may even be allergic to the stitches? Either way I would contact your vet for advise and sooner if he is unwell in himself as he may have an infection. XX
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Hope he's better today....bless. you've already had great advice from other members so I won't give any. think most member have said it all, just wishing you all great christmas and hoping he's better.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi, thank you all very much for your responses.

Harvey went to the vets as he is very red and swollen in the nether regions. The vet told me that he finds it itchy as the hair is growing back and keeps licking it but the actual wound is looking good. So £51.00 lighter, I have anti-biotics and anti-inflammatories which he has to take for 10 days.

So, thanks again everyone. Hopefully he is on the mend now.

Sarah
booboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2007, 12:13 PM
hope he feels better soon