View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Apologies, first of all, for not reading the whole thread.

I've just finished watching the first episode.

There were bits I liked and bits I didn't. I actually enjoyed quite a lot of the programme though, surprisingly.

I hate choke chains, yanking and the pack leader theory, those were the bits I did not like as I do not like these methods or ideas of training.

However, I did like some of the lessons they learned in taking responsibility for themselves and their dogs. It's definitely needed. Let's hope they're serious about the changes and it's not just for show on the TV - we can but hope.

The Staffie cross was gorgeous!

The anti-poaching dogs in South Africa certainly do a very important job.

Haven't watched the second episode yet but will do.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I only seen the 2nd one, I quite liked it
I also liked the fact that Mia let me watch it - no barking - and only a little growl when they went into the dagerous dogs block
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:35 PM
I enjoyed the second one a lot more than the first.

I really didn't like Amy, i got the impression she was a bit of a pampered princess? I thought she was lazy, defeatist and a bit of a brat. Mishak was misguided RE breeding, however he was clearly willing to learn and I actually thought he did really well and is clearly completely dog-mad, just misguided within it. I think that giving him the opportunity to spend his day surrounded by dogs would quell the need for him to breed at home. And even my tough cockney other half shed a tear when he had to say goodbye to king.
OhMyDog
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I didnt like the first one much either, but was pleased by the style of the second one.

However it left me with some mixed feelings, I could sympathise with Amy being soft with her dog after the loss of her family pet - like her I grew up with a dog for 14 years and when she died my world stopped. It took me another year to get a dog after that...but then I saw how she was letting him off the lead...near roads when she KNEW she didnt have control of him... there;s being soft then there's just being silly!! :0 Glad to see at the end of the show she was in control of Milo, and come to terms with the loss of her old friend... yes Sue and her team where harder on her but I think maybe its because she had given up where as Mishak was still training his dogs (misguided though he may have been!) and they just wanted that drive back into her! seemed to have worked!!!

As for Mishak... I was pleased he had a lead at the end of the show..but when he said "He's not bred since I've been back, so no more of that nah...for a while" (words to that effect) I wanted to thwap the tv! he's already thinking of doing it again in the future..silly boy, I think the only thing that would make him wake up to what he's doing is seeing one of his puppies in a shelter (hopefully that never happens)
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 05:41 AM
I've been watching the programmes on play again, so that I can FF any particularly annoying scenes.

I really enjoyed the second programme, although there were some very sad scenes in it such as the dog being put to sleep. Of course it was the right thing to do, but just very sad

I wish they'd stop the thing where the kids get uncomfortable very basic places to sleep etc ... I just think that starting anyone off like this is akin to not setting someone up for success and I do find it grating. It will be interesting to see if they continue to do this throughout the programme.

I really liked Mishak, I thought he was a really good sort of kid in fact - and I think he did genuinely love dogs. I wasn['t too sure about the "counselling" for Amy. It made me a little uncomfortable, but that was really the only bit (that and the ultra basic beds).

It was fab to see the box full of training books including some from Dr Ian Dunbar sent to Mishak I thought that was very thoughtful of Sue.

I see that the programme consultant is Julie Bedford from The Blue Cross. That will explain some of the voice overs in the previous programme

All in all, it was good. I look forward to the next one. I love seing the Malis so hoping it will be a good Programme 3 too.

Wys
x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 05:46 AM
I hope this isn't the pattern for the rest of the series, ie a spoilt brat of a girl and a 'tough' street-wise lad who thinks he knows everything and uses all those silly phrases where one word would do - that's what annoyed me more than anything else!

I would like to see people with different types of problems, especially as these sorts don't seem to appreciate the opportunity they are being given.

Other than that, I enjoyed it!
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I've just watched the second one on iplayer, have to say I really enjoyed this one whereas with the last one, not so much! I thought Sue was amazing and I warmed to the lad Mischak throughout the program (although the girl was a right spoilt brat and a continual irritant!). It was clear he loved his dogs, even if he was very misguided in breeding them, and staffies of all breeds

I thought Amy was just ridiculous and used the death of her old dog as an excuse to cry poverty every time she had to deal with the emotional aspects of working with dogs. I cheered when the trainer told her to grow up
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Something not yet mentioned (don't think so anyway) was when the girl stated she just allows her dog's mess to "fertilise in the garden"! So she never cleans up after Milo?!

She seemed to have a problem cleaning the kennels out. Surely she must've known when she applied to be ont he programme that she'd have to do something like that, no?
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Hope Mishak does OK, Came across a bit "When he's up he's up & when he's down he's down" Amy was OK - just needed to grow up a bit.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I didn't really like the girl, so enough about her. But I did like the guy. He was clearly infatuated with dogs and loved his, he was obviously misguided and oblivious to the problems he caused, but he worked hard and learnt a lot. I'd have more time/patience for him as he seemed to want to learn more.
Page 12 of 43 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »