View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Do you leave your dogs unattended in the garden?

Sorry that should read dogs not doga

Just curious really as I've read a few posts lately which state the poster never leaves their dog/dogs unattended in the garden but never go on to elaborate why. I was just thinking what a pain in the butt it would be if every time I had something else to do such as changing the beds I had to drag them in and shut the doors. Here unless it's piddling down the back doors are wide open from the minute I get up until I go to bed at night. I have to close them when it rains because they open outwards and the rain messes up the locking mechanisms. Other than that I close and lock the doors if I go out and the dogs are then inside. The dogs sunbathe and potter about and can't escape, the garden is secure with 6' close boarded fencing topped with 2' of trellis, the side gate is 7' tall and I have a second side gate at the patio end of the side access way which is about 4' tall and prevents any access for the dogs down the side. It's never occurred to me tbh that my dogs are in any danger in the garden without me so why would I sit and watch them whenever they are out, which is most of the day. What do you do?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I never used to leave my two out in the garden on their own, simply due to the fact, they would not stay out there on their own

But I would never go out and leave a dog in the garden no mater how secure, if they liked to stay outside with the back door open and me checking on them often, then I would do so.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 10:54 AM
OMG...I wish
Mine never stays in the garden on her own,never did. Will go out to pee,straight back in. If I'm gardening,sitting out or whatever she'll be with me but the second I go back in she follows
I can't see anything wrong with it As you say you're garden is secure,if their happy enough to be out there,why not?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-08-2013, 10:54 AM
No I wouldn't go out and leave them outside either but the minute I closed the door on them they'd make a dash for the back door and scrabble to come in.
If you had dogs that were happy to be outside when you were inside would you think twice about it?
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2013, 10:56 AM
My biggest worry is that they could be stolen. I trust my dogs not to get out but I don't trust some scumbag not to come in. I do leave the back door open when I'm here, like you, so the dogs can chose to be in or out, but I try to keep an eye on them as much as possible. They're fairly secure out there but nothing is 100%. You can't lock them away permanently so it's just a risk we have to manage I suppose.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by greatbarnet View Post
My biggest worry is that they could be stolen. I trust my dogs not to get out but I don't trust some scumbag not to come in. I do leave the back door open when I'm here, like you, so the dogs can chose to be in or out, but I try to keep an eye on them as much as possible. They're fairly secure out there but nothing is 100%. You can't lock them away permanently so it's just a risk we have to manage I suppose.
Well this was what I was wondering, is it fear of having your dogs stolen that prevents someone from letting them have the freedom to come and go as they please. I have two rather expensive tiddlers but treat them exactly the same as the bigguns. I don't give much thought to burglary etc except making sure windows and doors are locked when we're out and keys can't be hooked through the letterbox etc. but I'd do those things if I didn't have dogs too.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Back doors left open here too and if I am busy upstairs or bathing or showering my dogs have always had access to the garden. When I had Max and Ollie we had the high fencing but no lock on the big gate since having Dillon I now have the back gate locked too.
I come down to normally find he has come in and is waiting at the bottom of the stairs as the others did but at least he has the option to be out.
He is always indoors if we are out.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Other than in stupidly cold or windy weather, when I'm home, I have the back door open all the time for mine to potter in and out whenever they like.

Saves me running back and forth to open it as and when they need a wee! The back wall is 6ft high with thick thorny bushes on the other side, and the front gate is the single most noisy gate in the universe, so I don't think anyone could get in to steal them without me hearing... and they'd soon be begging me to take them back

When I go out, they come inside - dont like to leave doors open and unlocked if nobody is home
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

12-08-2013, 11:28 AM
My back and side yards are inaccessible so the only door to the outside is in the front. During the day [and night] unless it is bucketing down with rain or freezing cold, my door, which opens outwards, stays open most of the time but not fully open as I have a rope clipped to the jamb so that it is only open enough for Pereg to go out and come in.

And she is always tethered so that she cannot reach the pavement and barks to let me know if someone is coming down the path. If I am going to be out of the salon for any length of time the door is closed and locked and Pereg has her tether unclipped. Otherwise the door is open and she is free to go out and come in at will.

I am not concerned about her being stolen - she barks to let me know if anyone even parks outside and I am satisfied that she is safe.

[New camera, wrong date, photo taken yesterday.]
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Here I wouldn't (communal gardens) but when we had our own garden I used to leave two outside with the door open and me being able to see them at all times. Wouldn't leave these two out as one digs and the other panics if she can't find me.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >