View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gabbylongdon
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi I have a work trial at pets at home on Wednesday, I was just wondering if anyone could email me about what happens and also what to wear? Thanks.
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi I have been working for Pets at Home since April last year. I guessing you have had your assessment evening then?
Gabbylongdon
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi, yes I had my assessment yesterday and they got back to me today. I'm just nervous about Wednesday as I really want this job
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Well done! How many job places are going? The work trial is quite fun. Half of it will be your interview with the store manager and the other half will most probably be putting a trolley of stock on the shelves (it's very handy to have some idea of the layout of the store for this). If you don't know where something goes don't worry, just move onto the next item. A colleague will help you at the end. I don't know what you wore to the assessment evening but for this you want to wear work attire, so black flat shoes, smart black trousers and a black polo top (I purchased a nice one from the mens department in primark! it was perfect).

Talk to as many colleagues as you can, asking them lots of questions about the job. Get to know them on a personal level too. The colleagues will get asked by the store manager what they thought of you all so make sure you stand out and are remembered! Good Luck!
Gabbylongdon
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Thank you! I think there's only 2 jobs going but all the other people at the assessment had some experience in animal care however I don't have any, im worried that will be my downfall. But thanks for the info
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
That really shouldn't matter. Whether you have previous experience or not you still have to all go through the same basic training when you start. I didn't have any previous experience before I started with them and now I know loads! Before P@H I worked with children for 6 years!

Tell them you enjoy learning and are keen and quick to learn.

Hopefully you get the job. They're an amazing company to work for and have just been voted Sunday Times 2013's No.1 big top company to work for by the colleagues that work there
Gabbylongdon
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2013, 04:48 PM
That's ok then, feeling a bit less nervous now what type of things do they ask you in the interview?
petitsfilous
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Just general interview questions, scenarios that might happen in store, oh and if they ask you which do you greet first the dog or the customer, answer 'the dog' I was the only one to get it right on my work trial day lol. A lot of the answers they'll be looking for are basic common sense. It's a chance for the store manager to get to know you better and make sure you have questions prepared to ask them too!
Gabbylongdon
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks I really appreciate it ill let you know how I get on
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by petitsfilous View Post
Tell them you enjoy learning and are keen and quick to learn.
And try to say it like you mean it, it irks me considerably that a lot of young people say things and it's so obvious that the're just speaking from a rehearesed script.

If you really enjoy learning have some examples of things you've studied, since about 80% of P@H customers will be dog or cat owners you could start by learning which are the most popular breeds. It's not the breed most people imagine.

I only go to P@H occassionaly but I was impressed by the shop assistants in the store.

Having said the above I wish you luck.
Page 15 of 17 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 >