Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:48 PM

Elbow Dysplasia/Osteochrondrosis

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help, my friend's 7 month old labrador (my doggy 'nephew'!) has been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia/osteochrondrosis.

This will have to be managed throughout his life and likely to cause osteoarthritis. They have been advised to take him a number of low impact short walks a day as opposed to a long walk; never let him run about off lead or over exert himself; ensure he maintains a steady weight and never becomes overweight and also will be treated with anti-inflammitories (sp?)

I was wondering if there is any other advice, information or exprerience of this which I could pass on to her.

Thanks very much

Deedee x
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Deedee
I have a GSD with a grade 3 elbow score OCD type, he was diagnosed at 12 1/2mths when xrayed for scoring, the orthopeadic vet who did the xrays told me to reduce road walks but he could have off lead free running on softer ground. A Spanish vet at my local surgery also recommended Cosequin DS, I had previouly tried other products but the didnt have any affect. He is now 3yrs old as 2 off lead walks a day in Summer 3 in winter, I watch his weight and make sure that he doesnt carry excess. He lives a normal life, he was doing therapy work but gained too much weight with treats that were given to him so I stopped it. He enjoys going in the river, whilst I am working my other dog in the field he happily plays with his ball or chases a few birds. He does not have any other medications or supplements apart from the Cosequin DS, and if you saw him move you wouldnt know he had a problem.
Pam