Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:21 AM

tortoises

Hello
I love tortoises, as does my son.
I thought (I don't know why) that it wasn't legal to sell them anymore?? Or breed them???
Anyway, a local pet shop is selling some young ones (4 years) and I've heard of other people selling and buying them... I really don't have a clue here, it was just I was sure, years ago, they'd stopped their sale?? Was it that they stopped importing them??

Anyone know anything about how you care for them???? The man in the pet shop said they needed to be kept under a heat lamp a lot as that would encourage them to feed, but that if it was warm out they could wander in the garden???
Ailsa x
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-09-2006, 09:26 AM
some species of tortoise are citr listed and so need paperwork to ell and trade but most are fine to trade.

as for care, a tortoise table or open enclosure like a dog pen with a heat lamp and uv light in it to keep the torts healthy as none are native to the uk so need warmth.

on hot days they can be put in the garden if supervised as are great escape artists.

also can get torts that dont hibernate.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/backidx.html
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Yes I think you can buy the ones that are bred here but its illegal to import them anymore. There is a farm not far away from us selling them for £199 I think because my sister has always wanted a tortoise and she was thinking of having one. As they are so small they do have to be kept under a heat lamp for part of the time and don't think they would be allowed to hibernate because they have to be in good condition and a certain weight to hibernate. I used to have tortoises when I was young although they were the imported ones and were quite a lot bigger than the ones they sell in pet shops today so they didn't need the heat lamps and were fine to go outside and have a run round. I wouldn't have thought it would do a small one any harm to go in the garden for a short while if it is warm.
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:40 AM
my other halfs family have tortises and they have a box in the small green house in their garden which always has the door left open - they wander around his garden quiete happily but if they are new borns they need to be kept under lamp like 1st person pmentioned i think? they are so cute :smt001
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:40 AM
thanks ceiron and foxy...I see...differnt types of tortoise!!!!!!
They wanted £110 for these ones.
Don't think we'll get one, the house id full to the brim as it is, just wondered as I do like them and they seem to be becoming more popular again! Ax
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:41 AM
thanks younglady...are they old tortoises they have then?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
thanks ceiron and foxy...I see...differnt types of tortoise!!!!!!
They wanted £110 for these ones.
Don't think we'll get one, the house id full to the brim as it is, just wondered as I do like them and they seem to be becoming more popular again! Ax
Thats not a bad price in comparison to some prices I have seen for tortoises - my sister will be after one of them if I tell her