View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2010, 07:19 AM

Dark brown poo smelling sick. Where does it come from?

Ewww!
My puppy vomited this morning and what came out was hideous!
It was thick dark brown and smelled of faeces! He had not eaten for over twelve hours so where did it come from?!

I let him out first thing and he ate my other dogs dead hair from the garden (I had groomed her yesterday). He was then sick two minutes later.

Could that have sparked the vomiting? And what was it he vomited (I saw no signs of hair).

I hope it hasnt put me of my breakfast!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
My last dog used to do that when she`d eaten catsh*t.
ninja 2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:50 AM
it does sound as if he is cleaning up after himself or your other dog, you need to keep a good eye on him when he goes out and make sure you clean up straight away after either of them has been to the toilet.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2010, 07:56 AM
He does eat his own poo, it's a hang-up from the mother/ puppy stage.
But there is no way he could have eaten any this morning because I watch him like a hawk and normally I'd smell it or there would be some evidence if it occurred over-night.
I dont think he was vomiting poo that he had eaten.

So I'm still confused.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Is he eating? And is he OK otherwise and normal in every other way? And pooing OK?
If the answer is yes then as already said he is eating "extra's" !!! Which is eeeeuuuuggggghhhhhhh, but normal for a puppy although undesirable and you will have to keep an eye on him to stop it becoming a habit.

If the answer is No, then a word with the vet as he could have a blockage, and it is faecal matter he is bringing up. I had this with my dog luckily we managed to get it sorted without surgery, lots liquid paraffin.

Hope he is soon back to normal
ninja 2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
as has just been said is he eating and going to the toilet etc ok?

if he does have a blokeage then it would have to go somewhere so it comes "up" instead of going down (if you know what i mean)

it is possibly just a case though that the hair he ate has irritated at his throat causing him to boke (sp)therefore making him sick.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. He is eating and drinking ok.
I am keeping a very close eye on him regarding his poo eating. I can only manage the situation and as far as I am aware he hasn't eaten any for a week or so.

it could have been a reflex action after eating the hair but I'm still perplexed as to where and what this brown thick stuff was. He hadn't eaten for over twelve hours. I would have expected bile (the yellow foamy stuff) not this thick noxious stuff.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Do keep a close on on him as sometimes this happens if there is an obstruction
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I would definitely keep an eye on him and make sure he's pooing ok. If he's severely constipated the faeces won't be able to be passed the normal way so have to come back up as vomit. Hence faecal smelling vomit.

He probably is just eating poo, but keep an eye on him. Severe constipation can be very serious, sometimes leading to a bowel perforation if not treated.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree with all of the above, as I had this with my puppy last year! I've also had it with an older dog though who didn't eat poo, and it worried me a lot, but I didn't have to take her to the vet coz she was ok, but I know exactly what you mean, I've seen it quite a few times now. Good luck if you do have to take her to the vet, but I'm sure she's got hold of some from somewhere. You can usually tell by their breath, I always smelled my puppies breath when she'd been lurking outside just in case!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >