View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Anyone else experienced distressed howling (while dreaming).

Ollie seems to have nightmares some of the time.When he does he lets off the most distressing howls,usually middle of the night so we rush downstairs and call his name and he usually wakes up tail wagging has a cuddle and goes back to sleep.
He did this the other morning when I was on the phone to my Sister who has had dogs for 30+years and she had never heard anything like it. He also did it Friday morning and it was difficult to wake him,he seems awake in his manner walking towards you when you call his name,so eyes open it was the worst I have heard yet and I thought he was in pain for a minute,he is going in to be neutered next Wednesday so will have a chat with the Vet,just wondered if anyone else has had this or any ideas.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 03:22 PM
YES!!

Ozzy does the same thing but it is only very seldom he does it! It is a very eerie, almost hauntingly ghostly sound, the very first time he did it I thought he must be dying. I pelted downstairs, heart hammering put the light on preparing myself for the worst and he just peered up at me from his beanbag bed blinking his eyes like a mole seeing sunlight! There was nothing at all wrong with him and whenever he does it he appears to have been asleep. :smt015

It's a strange thing but it isn't distress in Ozzys case as he is always calm and unfazed when you go and see to him, I often wonder if it is the doggie equivalent of a nightmare?

None of my other dogs owned have ever done it either, weird huh?:smt017
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear Ollie isn't the only insane doggie around then.
He sounds like he is in pain or being chased,his howling when we leave him is totally different and doesn't last for long have checked with the neighnours.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi Lynn, Yes I've had dogs too for over 30 years but, only experienced this with one of them..Ishka GSD and it was so frightening when he first did it. I think it is perfectly normal in some dogs though. I am glad you're mentioning it to your vet as Mishka had epilepsy and as he's been the only one that has ever done this..better to be safe than sorry I guess. (I'm sure Ollie will be fine though).
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Thats interesting MR,my Sister said was he having a fit.
the other reason for mentioning it is when he is under the anaeshetic(sp) they are warned incase he has a nightmare then,don't want them panicking or slipping with the knife.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi Lynn dogs frequently make a whole range of noises when they are asleep, but it tends to wake them up.

If the noise is not waking Ollie he could be in a very deep sleep but I would certainly mention it to the vet, also having his hearing checked might be a good idea too.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thats interesting MR,my Sister said was he having a fit.
the other reason for mentioning it is when he is under the anaeshetic(sp) they are warned incase he has a nightmare then,don't want them panicking or slipping with the knife.
I'm sure Ollie will be fine..probably just dreaming but just as well to mention it to the vet, especially if he's not waking when he does it. Have PM'd you with some info.
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Snoop does this too and lately Honey has started... their legs go ten to the dozen and they yelp and howl sometimes too. We wake them up and they start to wag their tails and promptly drift back off to sleep... we always thought nothing more of it than that it was a dream!