View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure he doesn't have an owner. But if he does 1) He's been lost from them for quite some time and 2) He's very hand shy so they were quite mean to him. Otherwise he's neigh feral or stray as Rosebud suggested.

Animal control will kill him, and he really is a sweet dog and he doesn't deserve to die. He doesn't look an old dog either. He's a pit bull, and a malnourished and very hand shy one, there's no place for him there. They put down perfectly healthy and adoptable dogs day and night.

He's here for now, he won't starve and he's not going to leave. I want to gain his trust so I can leash him and take him around and show him to people and maybe find somebody who will keep him and be nice to him.

I don't plan on taking him around here, somebody mean will probably just fight him or mistreat him again... but there are upscale vet clinics full of kind people in town that may be able to help him.

So if he will let me get a leash on him, I MAY be able to save him from death or another bad owner. If people met him, I KNOW somebody would end up loving him. He's such a sweet and gentle boy.

As bad as this sounds, usually I'm okay with putting down these pit bull dogs because around here they are usually dangerous, but this boy doesn't deserve it. I'm not going to give up on him yet.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Little update. He's lurking around. Nigredo got more used to him and thought he was his new best buddy, so he puppy bowed and play barked, which sent poor guy running for his life.

So now I can't get him to come close like before and I've gone backwards with him. He eats the food I leave him and he's often within eyesight so he's safe and still here for now.

Nobody has called the animal control on him for no doubt the same reason I haven't. He's not a dangerous dog at all and we here know what they do to dogs like him there. His weird limpy thing looks a tad better.

I take Jade out back to potty etc. so she doesn't see him and he is no threat to our cats, so for now all is okay. Just a stray dog that I am feeding.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Bless you for helping this dog. he is in this situation through no fault on his own.
I'm sure he will come round, he is getting to know you and your dogs and there are sure to be set backs but you will find that after each set back he recovers more quickly.
Is it worth taking a photo and asking around to see if anyone recognises him?

At the moment he is being fed and that is the main thing.

Alison
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2015, 11:46 AM
I have one photo of him, I will print it down and when I walk around this evening I'll try and show everyone I see. He's in ROUGH shape so either his owner wasn't doing a good job to begin with... or he's very lost and probably not from this neighborhood.

Be sure to crop out my fat Nigredo! This dog has very wonky back legs and kind of waddles or limps... so this particular photo may be of help as it shows this fairly well.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Looks like he found the right house. Even if you can't keep him at least he will get some meals and kindness.

You can only assume so much, I'm not sure of his exact reaction without seeing it but being fearful doesn't mean his owner was mean if he ever had one. He could be a long time stray that's learned to fear people or he could have not been mistreated but dumped or escaped if he was never socialized prior and combine that with possible poor breeding you might get a shy scared dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Myra you are a saint. Poor dude - he's thin but not totally wasted, he will pull through but what then? My heart bleeds for you because it is such a tough call. You have your hands full with Nigredo and Jade ... I really hope something turns up for the little guy xx
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2015, 03:49 AM
Oh Myra, I know, I know exactly but keep up the good work darlin' you can help him given time. Meanwhile my daughter has persuaded me to start going over and walk dear Denise daily. I can't bring her around Sophie but we can walk her and show her some serious lovin'.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Thank you, everyone. Unfortunately... I have not seen him since yesterday and for the first time, the food I left for him has gone uneaten. He seems to have disappeared during the night. I hope he returns, I was more than happy to feed him and he wasn't a threat to anybody or any pets here.

Nobody "has seen" the dog before when I asked around and I was never able to get a leash on him and take him to the vets to look for a person who could take him in. I wish I could have kept him, I KNOW with time and patience he'd have made a good pet. My Jade isn't a horrible girl and as he's male, I know she'd have warmed to him.

If he wasn't a pit bull, I MIGHT have been able to talk my family into it... but no way is he allowed to stay being who and what he is. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of pit bulls either at this point, but he's not a dangerous dog and all he needed was a home and someone he could trust.

I do feel bad about the situation, but there's nothing that can be done. If I were able to have kept him, I'd have stayed out there all day and night if that's what it took to get him to trust me enough. Affording him would have been an afterthought
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Myra, don't beat yourself up, you did everything you possibly could - and more. He has probably just moved on, you fed him and gave him the strength to do so. I hope he finds his way to wherever he is going and meets some more nice kind people along the way. He looks a sweet dog - reminds me of Cesar Millan's Popeye!

Well done you, you should be proud of yourself xx
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks Gnasher. It's just that dogs like him only need loving families, they don't need the euthanasia that many dangerous roaming dogs need. That's mainly why I felt so bad for him. He was gentle, just shy and scared. He's certainly gone now, and I only hope maybe someone is able to lure him in and keep him and be nice to him. He deserves it.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >