Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 04:14 PM

Annoyed about dog poo

We've just been camping to North Wales (Llyn Peninsula) and whilst it was lovely and we really enjoyed it, we found there to be a real lack of poo bins...

I know it sounds really stupid, but there were 3 dogs with us, and that's a lot of poo!

For instance in the mile walk (down roads and proper footpaths) there wasn't a poo bin. Nor was there one in the town centre, or on any of the beaches we went on.

We put the poo in a "normal" bin several times (after carrying it around for about an hour)

The most annoying things were:

1) Wardens on beaches ticketing people for not picking poo up when there was no bin to actually put the poo in
2) People tutting when one of the dogs did a poo, even though we were standing ready with a poo bag
3) Finding/Seeing full poo bags hidden under rocks or buried in the sand on the beaches
4) Seeing notices everywhere about getting fined for not picking up, finding loads of other people's dog poo on the road and no bins on main footpaths etc
5) Carting round poo bags (sometimes 7 or 8 of them in a carrier bag) all day when we went walking because there was nowhere to put it

You'll be happy to know though that we picked up every
poo done on the holiday by all three dogs and then responsibly disposed of it (eventually)
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 04:23 PM
That is really annoying. How much can it possibly cost them to put a few poo bins around the place.

I can kind of understand the annoyance of the non-dog-owners though, if even the people who bag the poo end up having to try and bury it
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 04:30 PM
hiya

its so annoying - we have NO dog poo bins locally AT all even although we have 2 parks close to each other - they just have normal bins in them and even at that only one in eacvh park which are always fit to bursting with poobags.

One of the local walks i do which goes right round the exterior of a golf course is about 3-4 miles and there is not one BIN let alone a poo bin in that whole distance - so you have to carry it along with you.

The local playing fields have no bin at all within the vicinity.

I just walked bruno at clermiston hill today and there is one bin at the car park and then not another one til about 1/2 way round - again just a normal bin not a poo bin.

For the amount of lamposts here you would think they could attach a few poo bins up on them - what do we pay our council fees for - I have absoultely no problem picking up after my dog but get very frustrated when I have to carry it for miles to a bin - and quite often end up taking it home with me.

No wonder there is so much littering in the parks and streets as there truly are not enough bins let alone poo bins around here

arrghhh rant over !
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Write a letter to the local council Shelley and complain.

I complained about the bins in our local park not being emptied often enough, and them over flowing, and now we have bigger bins!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 04:57 PM
It is annoying IsoChick but I do think you should write and complain.

But what a wonderful place for a holiday! We hired a cottage there last year at Easter - right on the edge in Aberdaron and it was wonderful. The worst thing was the sheep poo ...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick
The most annoying things were:

1) Wardens on beaches ticketing people for not picking poo up when there was no bin to actually put the poo in
2) People tutting when one of the dogs did a poo, even though we were standing ready with a poo bag
3) Finding/Seeing full poo bags hidden under rocks or buried in the sand on the beaches
4) Seeing notices everywhere about getting fined for not picking up, finding loads of other people's dog poo on the road and no bins on main footpaths etc
5) Carting round poo bags (sometimes 7 or 8 of them in a carrier bag) all day when we went walking because there was nowhere to put it
I can totally symapthize with you on all scores above, we have similar probs here too

Why do people tut when you have a poo-bag ready That has happened to me before and wound me up to hell!

It is ludicrous to not have enough bins for us to dispose of the bags too, us dog-owners can't seem to win. If our dog fouls and pick it up someone tuts, if we cannot find a proper poo-bag bin and bin it in a 'normal' one we are criticized, what are we to do?

As for the people who pick up then throw the bags away, they are nuts!

Anyhow, hope you had a good time!!
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2012, 01:23 PM
That's one of my 'pet' hates - seeing all those bags of poo just left lying around. Seriously, it'd be better not to bother so that at least the rain can wash it away, but in a bag it just stays and decomposes for all to see (and smell) and ruins the walks. Can't understand some people - if you go to the trouble of bagging it up surely it's not too much more of a problem to carry it to a bin somewhere, or even take it home if necessary.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Although we have one or two dog bins littered about, it is acceptable to use normal bins where there aren't any.

Were there any normal litter bins on the walk?

If not, then complain, but if you complain and there are litter bins, it's a fair bet that the reply will be that you can use those instead
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Tell me about it!! I live here with 6 dogs and the lack of bins....not just poo bins...is a pain in the butt!! The dog poo problem is terrible here. A friend of mine, who lives on the Lleyn Peninsula, actually started a campaign on a well know social networking website to clamp down on poo offenders and the abuse she got was terrible. She had to stop in the end!
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2012, 03:17 PM
There are quite a few poo bins near us but equally most of the normal bins have a warning about dog fouling and fines and say bag it and bin it, which I take to mean that we can also put the bags in there and I do.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >