Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the intense burst of the run up and attacking of the ball.

nothing else matters, all emotion and energy is concentrated upon the prey....all sensory input and output is channelled into nought but this objective.

hence why the dogs go crazy and cannot be diverted onto treats etc and the collies jump up at the owners at the end either ragging their sleeves or the tuggie
Do think that's the same for Flyball?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:47 PM
the intense burst of the run up and attacking of the ball.

nothing else matters, all emotion and energy is concentrated upon the prey....all sensory input and output is channelled into nought but this objective.

hence why the dogs go crazy and cannot be diverted onto treats etc and the collies jump up at the owners at the end either ragging their sleeves or the tuggie
I would agree - if the dogs were not retrieving. The Ball does not move enough IMO (I have always done BFA Flyball - minimal ball movement). As speed is the objective in the game - the retrieve is as important....

We did have a terrier who treated it as a prey game...but she never brought the ball back.....I also had a BC who treated it as a herding game...chasing the other dog (although she was very Ball obsessed - she would also not retrieve once she realised the balls were reloaded)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 10:48 PM
that post was about flyball
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:56 PM
that post was about flyball
There you go then.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I would agree - if the dogs were not retrieving. The Ball does not move enough IMO (I have always done BFA Flyball - minimal ball movement). As speed is the objective in the game - the retrieve is as important....

We did have a terrier who treated it as a prey game...but she never brought the ball back.....I also had a BC who treated it as a herding game...chasing the other dog (although she was very Ball obsessed - she would also not retrieve once she realised the balls were reloaded)
the dog is pelting at speed toward the prey object (the ball) regardless of whether or not the ball moves more or less (as would be the case with a live animal).

hunting animals can also end with a 'retrieve'.

so all those components of flyball you describe are still characteristics and expressions of the prey drive.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
the dog is pelting at speed toward the prey object (the ball) regardless of whether or not the ball moves more or less (as would be the case with a live animal).

hunting animals can also end with a 'retrieve'.

so all those components of flyball you describe are still characteristics and expressions of the prey drive.
I will disagree. I see it in a different way.
I think by the time the dog is an Adult, there is a notable difference between the 2.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 11:07 PM
I will disagree. I see it in a different way.
I think by the time the dog is an Adult, there is a notable difference between the 2.
i dont see the age has any relevance?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes i agree so have in fact contradicted my earlier post. Jasmine does display play drive with a ball but she is deff in prey drive when racing! so perhaps they are not so different after all. Perhaps its all about theg situation and environment etc
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:16 PM
i dont see the age has any relevance?
IMO - (as I said in previous post) - the play drive develops from prey drive - puppy practising adult behaviours. The play drive continues as the owner continues to reinforce the game....prey drive develops differently with more specific intent.

Not sure where the split happens though - trying to think back with Tassle (and now Zeff - with him I think it has been very recent - he is 11 months)....maybe it happens when they first make a kill.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 11:20 PM
IMO - (as I said in previous post) - the play drive develops from prey drive - puppy practising adult behaviours. The play drive continues as the owner continues to reinforce the game....prey drive develops differently with more specific intent.

i dont think the play drive develops from prey drive, i think it is the prey drive
puppy practising adult behaviours of the preydrive

Not sure where the split happens though - trying to think back with Tassle (and now Zeff - with him I think it has been very recent - he is 11 months)....maybe it happens when they first make a kill.
the split doesnt exist IMO

the owner isnt reinforcing the game, he is offering the dog an outlet for his prey drive.
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »