Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 09:49 AM

my problem

after reading shadowboxer and kimbastaffs advice to jenny i was wondering if either of them can help me. I have the opposite problem to jenny as max is just a complete wolly. He absoloutely ADORES other dogs and just wants to be with them. the thing is he is a big boy and if i was a stranger with my dog and saw max galloping towards me i would probably be quite worried. I think i have made the mistake of in the past putting max on the lead everytime we see a new dog unless the owners say they like to play then i let him off. i have taught the leave command and wait and in 99% of situations he is very good at both he will wait for his dinner for ages till i tell him and once i didnt even tell him to wait and started washing up after i had put down his tea and a few minutes later noticed he was sat there dribbling waiting for me to say ok which is his release command! he will also leave anything we come across like litter, food or even poo! yuck!! his recall is also fine when we are alone he is very nosey and a lab who loves his food so the second i call him he legs it to me just incase i am offering food. but and its a but which is making life tricky as soon as he sees a person or a dog withing 3000 miles if i dont see them first he is off and i mean he absoloutely legs it to them even slamming into them cos his brakes are rubbish! he has been bitten a few times and as he runs he doesnt respond to his name or leave. 9 times out of ten i spot the dog first and get him back on the lead and then he tries his hardest to get to them. when he gets to the dogs he lies on his back on the floor but quite often the other dog is spooked by him running at them and they bite him and he drops on his back! i dont want to keep him on the lead all the time as he loves running in the park but obviousley dont want him to get really hurt. i spent a week taking him out on a lunge rein and mainly it consisted of me water skiing over the grass on the end of it when he saw a dog! it really made no difference and although i did mange to stop him getting to the dog, normally with the aid of a tree, he didnt improve he is just too friendly for his own good! sorry i have gone on but i am now getting a nervous wreck when out incase we see another dog
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Oh Katy

Sorry I cant help u.

I hope someone will come along soon.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 09:56 AM
thanx j i know it isnt an end of the world problem but it does make life difficult and max's sister coc is much more sensible and slowly approaches dogs sniffing and then normally turns away from them i wish max had more sense lol
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Well Luna has legged it a few times, with me running after her, but the last time, about a week ago, she stopped about 10 meters before she reached the dog and turned around looking at me. I got my "sugarsweet" voice and called her while running away and wooohooo she came to me!!! Was I surprised!!!

Luna has never been bitten though. I actually thought Max would have learned his lesson when bitten.....

Hmmm

Good luck and give Max a big kiss from Luna
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 10:07 AM
max is very simple i told ya! he has been bitten by nearly all breeds now!! he doesnt seem to care! i mean he hasnt been badly bitten we havent met a ddog who has been really nast they just snap at him and he has yelped wuite a few times so i think they have caught him on the ears etc and he just lies on his back. he has been bitted by another chocolate lab who is a male and hates max!! he got bit by a gsd an old english sheep dog a boxer a border terrier and a fair few cross breeds. he ran into a doberman the other day and it put max on the floor with its front paw and just growled at him i thought that dog was very mature lol
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Max will change as he gets older. He will learn to approach dogs a bit better. Star was the same and ended up being snapped at a few times.

I also put Star on the lead until I find out if the dog is friendly
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Oh yeah. If I see someone coming towards me with their dogs on lead, I put Luna on lead. And if the dog is loose I keep Luna at heel untill we are fairly close.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 10:48 AM
thats what i try to do but he takes off like a greyhound and pretends he has never met me b4
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 10:50 AM
He he, sorry Katy, but I love the way you say things
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 11:01 AM
but what am i gonna do!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >