View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2009, 07:53 AM
You say: "From our side, the fencing is safe and secure. MY dogs can't get into their garden. However, the fencing on their side is in mild disrepair; and they don't seem to be overly bothered that their dogs can get into our garden."

I thought fencing were between properties, and if fencing is in disrepair on one side, sure it can't be safe and secure from the other side????
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Hope the hand is feeling better today.
I think MS has a good point. You have to keep rescuing their dogs from your garden and your dogs they have no right to be there at all and I wonder what would happen if you couldn't get to them in time. I would be going mad at them by now.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Hope the hand recovers well Shelley.

x0x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
You say: "From our side, the fencing is safe and secure. MY dogs can't get into their garden. However, the fencing on their side is in mild disrepair; and they don't seem to be overly bothered that their dogs can get into our garden."

I thought fencing were between properties, and if fencing is in disrepair on one side, sure it can't be safe and secure from the other side????
The boundary line is a privet (+ other) hedge about 200 metres long. When we originally moved in (before next door lived there), we place a low fence (wire, not solid wood) on our side of the hedge, as the bottom of it was patchy and straggly. This was purely to stop our dogs getting through, as the property next door was empty, and there was road access and access to a building yard/industrial units.

We've always kept an eye on our fence, and we've had one or 2 escapes over the last 2 years, but have always done something about it as soon as a gap has been discovered.

However, next door haven't been so viligant. Since they moved in, we've had issues with their dogs (plus other animals) getting into our garden. The problem is that the Boxers don't really do anything with the fence/hedge; however their dogs are much smaller, and will actively dig/bite/scrape at the hedge/wire/ground and make holes etc.

They did put up a similar sort of low fence on their side of the hedge, which, for a time was enough to stop the dogs coming through, but they've not maintained it; so the dogs have destroyed part of it and can now get through.

I would love to have a 'proper' solid wooden fence there; but the cost is astronomical! Even if we shared it with next door, we honestly couldn't afford it. It would mean removing 200m of established hedging (over 7ft high and 20 years old), 4 x 15ft trees and their roots and replacing them with 200m of 6ft high wooden fencing... eek!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Normally the fence `belongs` to one property. You can usually tell which because of the way the posts are set, but it should also be in the Deeds. There is also a requirement to keep your own animals from straying (but of course that can go both ways)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Normally the fence `belongs` to one property. You can usually tell which because of the way the posts are set, but it should also be in the Deeds. There is also a requirement to keep your own animals from straying (but of course that can go both ways)
That's why I wish we had a proper fence!!

The hedge is ON the boundary line and is generally huge. We each keep our side tidy, including the trees. The deeds don't mention the hedge, as I think it wasn't there when our property was originally built (back, back in the mists of time!!)

I was mortified when I found out Murphy had got into next door's garden. We went to B&Q that night and bought some more fencing wire and floodlit the garden so we could mend it the same night...
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4