Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Swollen Lymph Nodes - I am panicking

My 14 1/2 yr old cocker bitch has been doing so well up to ow, apart from a itchy mouth, she is fit and no sign of ageing stiffness, though her sight and hearing are somewhat intermittent.
The last few days her appetite has diminished and she is even picky with her favourite foods, she is lethargic and sad looking and I having felt down her rear legs I can find two small marble like nodules above each hock, which is where I believe are the lymph nodes, she is quite fleshy elswehere so is difficult to know if any others are enlarged, she has had slightly runny eyes recently, but during a recent teeth and mouth check they took a blood sample an said something about a slight elevation on one of the Liver' readings, whatever that meant. Now I am panicking , I have booked her in to the vet ...she is an old lady ,I am worried that she has liver or other cancer (her mother died of cancer) I am distraught at the thought of losing her and have been crying my eyes out...I am not sure I can go on without her
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
While she is there with you there is always hope, try not to worry too much till you actually know whats going on, you've done the right thing booking her into the vets...hope everything goes ok, try and keep positive for her, hugs to you x
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 01:19 PM
It could be a lot of things. Try not to worry. I know you say she is old but you also say she is fit and healthy for her age. Keep us posted

Big hugs on the way xx
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Hope she will be ok, she had done well to reach such an age. Hope to hear some positive news very soon x
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes, they are lymph nodes. Combined with the runny eyes makes em think she might have an allergy or an infection somewhere maybe? Hope shes alright, let us know how it goes.
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Shona had a check at the vets who says her reluctance to eat is exacerbated by a sore throat!!
Also her Liver Enzyme reading is up therfore she has capsules of Hepatosyl to help the liver.
She was given antibiotics for the throat and apparently will also aid her liver...

New problem how do I get a dog that is eating very little with a sore throat to take tablets/capsules, I tried in food no luck (it just put her off eating the little she was having) tried in fluid she wont drink it, and if I try and pop them in her mouth she either coughs them up or she dribbles them out.(sore throat dont help)
The tablets arent too difficult but the capsules just go soggy and are useless (and expensive) any ideas !!!!! HELP
Any suggestins gratefully received, I need her to feel better to eat....
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear that she is not well and not eating, we been through this problem wouldnt eat anything. Although she refusing food have you tried putting tablet in a little bit of cheese it worked a few times for us after that we had to syringe food into his mouth - not easy
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 12:17 PM
We are so glad to hear this is not what you expected - we have three elderly dogs who are such a worry.

We dont normally have problems getting ours to take tablets, but if we do - we wrap the tabs in something soft like butter, mayonnaise or primula.

Hope this helps

Thalice's mum
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I have tried to hide the tablets n all sorts but she just is not intersted and to try to pu them down her throat is virtually impossible especially the capsules as they just get tacky and stick to her mouth.

Despite the vets comments I am not convinced that the ailment it is so straight forward.
(Years of dealings with these guys has shown me how little they do know.)
On the west coast of Scotalnd, not a lot of choice sadly.......
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Sady I had to put my beloved Cocker Spaniel too sleep, she went toxic and very ill this morning..........

To say I am devastated is an understatement, god! I wish it had been me, cause right now I do not want to live ...
She was my entire life and I see no future at all without her.............
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >