View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-04-2006, 06:35 PM

How old before the first trim? (Miniature Schnauzer)

Hi

We have a Mini Shnauzer who's 12 and a bit weeks old, how old should they be before they get a bit of a trim for the first time?

Missi has the classic teddy bear look at the moment and some of the fur on her muzzle obscures her eyes from view, although it doesn't seem to bother her she's also going a little curly and tuffty where she shouldn't be.
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi
We have wirehaired dachshunds that have a similar coat texture and we hand strip and trim them at around 14-16 weeks. I would suggest looking at google as there are lots of sites regarding trimming of Miniature Schnauzers
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Snert are you going to be trimming your puppy yourself?
When your puppy gets to about 12 weeks you will find the puppy coat will start to 'blow' and will strip out quite easily..you need a chalk block and a stripping knife like one of these to remove it ..

You can get a hard chalk block from petcetera
92204 Groomex Chalk Block - Hard

Hand shears are good for the chest and vent (under the tail) like the smaller of these ..

from here..click here

If you want a site with info on stripping PM me.
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply Mini

I'll not be going near her with shears myself for fear of her ending up looking like a freshly sheared sheep

If stripping the coat is as difficult as brushing her with a wire grooming brush it's a job best left to a professional, she really doesn't like it
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 09:16 PM
i thought u couldnt give a dog their first clip until they are a yr old otherwise the puppy coat doesnt grow through properly? or is this only with breeds who are shaved?
Meg
Supervisor

04-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
i thought u couldnt give a dog their first clip until they are a yr old otherwise the puppy coat doesnt grow through properly? or is this only with breeds who are shaved?
Jenny the OP is about a Schnauzer, we are talking about stripping not clipping and if you left a Mini for a year it would look like a yorkshire terrier..
As soon as a mini puppy starts to 'blow' it's outer coat the coat will strip out easily..did you see the pictures Mike posted of Bear after her first trim ..http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/bea...l?page=3&pp=20
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that link, Bear looks great!

The difference is amazing.

My missi really does need sorting, she's a proper little scruff at the moment
Meg
Supervisor

05-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Snert This was Amy after her first trim I think she was about 12 weeks. I stripped off the long coat and went around the edge of the ears with scissors.

When older you can clip a Minis ears but with puppies it is best to leave the hair on to give added weight and to stop them 'flying' during teething.

It is a good idea to groom your puppy daily, brush the back and comb the legs picking each one up so your puppy gets used to being handled. Look in the ears and mouth .. this will make things easier for whoever trims her ...and for the vet. It only takes a few moments to do this , finish with lots of praise and a special treat like cheese or chicken
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	amy 2.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2227   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	2228  
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks Mini

Missi loves to be handled and have her legs brushed, she's even great with opening her mouth because that makes it easier for her to eat your fingers

Missi has lots of black on her at the moment, but the silver/grey is starting to show....i don't know if she'll be as grey as your Amy though.

She seems to like brocolli as a treat at the moment