Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2005, 07:52 AM

Loves his own voice

Hi its Buster's mum yet again!

Buster loves his own voice and i just dont know how to get him to stop, the trouble is in our new neighbourhood there are a lot of noisy dogs barking in the garden!

He is good at barking to tell us he needs the loo but does it quite a lot of other times????????????????????????
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2005, 08:24 AM
hello anyone in this rainy morning?! poor me stuck at work!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi Buster yes I am here .. I have had this problem with my dogs and Amy used to run out through her little door whenever the neighbours were in their garden. I got around the problem with distraction, Schnauzers are toy orientated and love things that squeak so when she barked I went to the door and squeaked a toy then hid it...she would rush in to look for it and I would ignore her, sometimes I let her find the toy then removed it and substituted another toy, other times I did not but it made her forget outside. I was not 'rewarding' the barking because I was ignoring her and the toy was not connected to me .
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2005, 08:28 AM
that's a really good idea thanks, i hate it when he barks at the garden
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

23-04-2005, 08:28 AM
My Barney is very vocal as well barks and talks at everything - but he has never barked to go to the toilet - there was one time when he was younger and I didn't realise he needed the toilet (because he never barks to go out) so he pulled his food dish into the centre of the living room and peeed into it!

I sometimes think that some dogs are more vocal than others - Jack used to be but now he never barks at anything - even when other dogs are barking - I've tried using the same training methods on Barney but he barks regardless.
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Emm that made me laugh very much, peeing into his bowl!

he is only 5 months so hopefully he will grow out of it.

i love it when buster talks it is so funny and cute.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

23-04-2005, 08:46 AM
I can laugh now but at the time I had visitors and it was really embarrasing - I've never heard of a dog do that before!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by buster
that's a really good idea thanks, i hate it when he barks at the garden
Emm that is lovely
Buster The above worked for me, other people may have different suggestions to help you you see I did not want to stop my dogs barking altogether just at certain times, Buster is still very young and excitable and I think his barking will grow less as he matures Amy jumps on the chair and looks out of the window and barks if anyone goes past.. that is fine by me she is alerting me to possible dangers I call her down from the chair and she stops and comes to me having 'done her job'
Soph
New Member!
Female 

23-04-2005, 10:01 AM
I've found that teaching Ruthie a command to bark has helped, strangely. Whenever she barked I'd say 'woof' and eventually when I said it, she'd bark. I'd get her to do a few woofs in a row and then I'd suddenly produce her ball - which shut her up momentarily as she is obsessed with it. At that point I'd say 'thank you' (you could use 'quiet' or anything else) and after another few moments of silence, reward her with the ball. She soon got the idea.