Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Legacy23 View Post
A classic example is when you’re young and you touch the stove and get burned you don’t do it again for fear of getting burned. There are a lot of things people don’t do for fear of the repercussions.
The very big difference is that a mother wouldn't dream of deliberately forcing their child's hand onto the stove so they received a burn to stop them doing it again. They would, hopefully, try to show and explain why it's not a good idea to go near the stove.

I prefer to show and make sure my dog understands what I want in a kind way rather than making training distasteful for both me and my dog
Legacy23
New Member!
Male 

06-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Chris, all of your points are valid.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The very big difference is that a mother wouldn't dream of deliberately forcing their child's hand onto the stove so they received a burn to stop them doing it again. They would, hopefully, try to show and explain why it's not a good idea to go near the stove.

I prefer to show and make sure my dog understands what I want in a kind way rather than making training distasteful for both me and my dog
Totally agree. Fear is not the way to go in my opinion.
Legacy23
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Totally agree. Fear is not the way to go in my opinion.
I agree fear isn't the way to train, my point was that fear is a natural way for most living creatures (including humans) to learn what not to do.

But since we are on the subject of training methods how does everyone feel about corrections being used for behavior modification? For example if I give my dog a leash correction along with a verbal cue, for biting my kids he doesn't end up fearing the leash.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2017, 07:02 PM
I agree fear isn't the way to train, my point was that fear is a natural way for most living creatures (including humans) to learn what not to do.

But since we are on the subject of training methods how does everyone feel about corrections being used for behavior modification? For example if I give my dog a leash correction along with a verbal cue, for biting my kids he doesn't end up fearing the leash.
He shouldn't be biting anyone far less your own kids.
If you think he might, you shouldn't be allowing him to be in a situation where he could have the opportunity to do so.
Legacy23
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2017, 07:28 PM
He shouldn't be biting anyone far less your own kids.
If you think he might, you shouldn't be allowing him to be in a situation where he could have the opportunity to do so.
I agree! I was just using that as an example. He's 6 months old now and knows better but when he was around 3 1/2 months he would use his mouth while playing. I taught him to stop and he's pretty good right now.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2017, 10:50 PM
I agree! I was just using that as an example. He's 6 months old now and knows better but when he was around 3 1/2 months he would use his mouth while playing. I taught him to stop and he's pretty good right now.
How did you teach him not to use his mouth when playing?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2017, 06:39 AM

Don't be too sure about that!

I bought my Mini Schnauzer when he was 9 months old from a show breeder. He'd never been walked on a lead before and the only time he'd been on a lead was when he was being groomed.

The first week I had him, every time I put his lead on, he'd immediately stand perfectly still in a show pose and refuse to move because that's what he'd been trained to do from being a puppy.

Luckily I have another dog who only associates her lead with going for walks and between us we eventually managed to persuade him to change his mind about what leads were meant for.

Even now, nearly 3 years later, whenever I put his lead on, he stands still for a moment before he moves on!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Don't be too sure about that!

I bought my Mini Schnauzer when he was 9 months old from a show breeder. He'd never been walked on a lead before and the only time he'd been on a lead was when he was being groomed.

The first week I had him, every time I put his lead on, he'd immediately stand perfectly still in a show pose and refuse to move because that's what he'd been trained to do from being a puppy.

Luckily I have another dog who only associates her lead with going for walks and between us we eventually managed to persuade him to change his mind about what leads were meant for.

Even now, nearly 3 years later, whenever I put his lead on, he stands still for a moment before he moves on!
Interesting reaction. Ours stands still to get the lead on or off. Same command for both.
Legacy23
New Member!
Male 

08-03-2017, 01:56 PM
How did you teach him not to use his mouth when playing?
I gave him praise and treats when he ignored/sniffed/licked the kids hands when they pet him and a stern no with a leash correction when he put his teeth on them.
Page 34 of 42 « First < 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 > Last »