Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I have done both, never had a badly behaved dog,
a well brought up dog is a well brought up dog.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
My dogs aren't left for more than 4 hours in a day.

But I think it's down to the individual dog. I agree being crated all day isn't acceptable, but older dogs, for instance, could be left for longer on their own IMO.
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:17 PM
I work from home but my day starts with an hour long walk with them first.
They usually sleep in or near my office so they are near me.
We have a play and a few snacks at lunch time, then go for another walk 4pm ish to meet their pals, then their daddy takes them a walk before bed time.

Therefore they are generally shattered and sleep in between!

If I'm out for the day I have a dog walker come and take them out and then we would never leave them in the evening to make up for it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I think you should consider yourself very fortunate if you can actually afford not to have to work and be with your dogs all the time. I'm sure many of us wish we had the means to be able to do so but as Shona says it's how they are brought up that counts and I believe that dogs should learn to be alone or you could get separation issues if your circumstances change and you need to leave them.
Becky
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Both me and my hubby work full time, so Mon-Fri Jess is left 8 hours, and she is fine with it. She gets to roam the bottom of the house, and she has never gotten distressed (never barked unless something happens, doesn't destroy anything, doesn't soil) with this. We make sure that our weekends are spent with her, generally going on nice big walks, quite often with other dogs.

Jess is a very well behaved dog, so if the dog is right for your situation, I don't think working or not has an input. Just because someone is home 24/7 with their dogs (no offense to anyone meant here) it doesn't mean that they do anything with their dogs or that they spend quality time with them.

ETA - You only need to look at pictures of my mut to see that she is happy and content with her lifestyle
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
if you can actually afford not to have to work
I honestly don't get how people can afford not work unless they are retired or supported by partners.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I've worked full-time, part-time, and now I work from home.

My dogs have always been good, whether I'm here or not, I think it's how they are brought up to be honest.

When I worked,they could come to work with me or they could stay at home, either way they were never any trouble/bothered.

Same as now I can take them shopping with me...and often do....or I can leave them here.............they just sleep

As for people working and owning dogs, IMO I see no harm in it, there are loads of members on this forum who go out to work, thier dogs are also blessed with happy stable lives, I think it does dogs good to be left alone.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I honestly don't get how people can afford not work unless they are retired or supported by partners.
or won the lottery lol!

Becky
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I've worked full-time, part-time, and now I work from home.

My dogs have always been good, whether I'm here or not, I think it's how they are brought up to be honest.

When I worked,they could come to work with me or they could stay at home, either way they were never any trouble/bothered.

Same as now I can take them shopping with me...and often do....or I can leave them here.............they just sleep

As for people working and owning dogs, IMO I see no harm in it, there are loads of members on this forum who go out to work, thier dogs are also blessed with happy stable lives, I think it does dogs good to be left alone.
I would love to work from home. Also, I totally agree with thinking it does dogs good to be left.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 04:08 PM
My parents work full time and I go to college but my mum works irregular hours, it works great, even if we're at home he sleeps pretty much all day! I think it's far better to work full time and spend quality time with the dog when you're home than to be home all day every day and ignore them. It would be nice to be able to stay at home with him but then he would not be able to be kept in the style to which he has become accustomed, might have to cut down to only having one bed!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >