View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2012, 11:32 AM

How long to wait before adding to the pack?

Hi,

I have two dogs and want to add a third (he will be a rescue, and ideally older than 2, possibly even an oldie). I am confident about (I think!) absolutely everything related to taking on a third dog (I used to have three) so I'm not asking 'whether' I should (that's kind of already decided!) but rather 'when' I should. One of mine is a 7 year old bitch (rescue), the other an 8 month old puppy (I've had her from 8 weeks). Would I be at risk of upsetting her training and bonding with me if I bring a third dog into the home now? Should I wait until she is 1, or even 18 months?? Does anyone have any views about the optimum age the youngest dog should be before getting another?

Many thanks, look forward to reading your comments.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Gosh I admire your energy levels!

I have 2 dogs which are 10 and 9 and a half but very fit and active.

The other week we looked after a work colleagues 6 month old Collie/Springer/Lurcher cross for 6 days and it was a blooming nightmare having 3 dogs! I found it so difficult and felt the dogs took over my life.

We are all different and my dogs are older than yours so your experience won't be the same. Also this dog was way too high-energy for me as my dogs are medium-energy and so obviously you will be picking the dog breed/type you like.

Little things became big things though-like it is nice having one dog each side of you on walks and having 3 felt much more difficult. Could be because puppy was hard work and not very well-trained in a lot of ways though. I do personally think that your puupy is a bit young to be getting another pup for you to train and bond with. Perhaps it would be better if you wait a few more months?
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks for your reply. I agree, I must say that three dogs is about 6 times the work of one dog! There's always one who you can't see, not enough arms, not enough eyes, need a bigger car etc. But when I had three before I rarely (I wouldn't say never!) had that many problems. The only difficulty is grabbing them all when a horse comes round the corner or something. But then mine have all been giant breeds (Newf, BMD, Leo) - generally laid back and friendly, and very calm when in the house so I never had any issues there.

I agree it would be too early to get another puppy but I'm thinking of an oldie - that also means I can leave my older dog with company when I go out training with my 8 month old. Plus I'd get the warm feeling inside you get when you take on a rescue! I'm thinking specific breed rescue too, so that means waiting til the right dog for us comes along - that could be months or years!

As you can see, I've pretty much made up my mind already but it's interesting to see what others think.

Thanks. And it was good of you to take in someone else's dog for a week, they are lucky to have a friend like you!