Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tracii
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2007, 07:03 AM

Update On Moving Cars

Hi All
Thought I'd let you know how I'm doing with Anoushka and the car problem.
When I take the 2 dogs over the Chase, before we put them back in the car, we stand around and wait for cars. One of us will sit on the floor and the other will lean up the car to try and look natural and not bothered, whilst we chat to each other, completely ignoring the dogs. This has helped tremendously. Anoushka will watch the cars go past but not lunge and bark at them. Although if a motorbike goes by or a particularly noisy car she will react but not as aggressivley as previously. The gap between her and the road is about 6foot. When I take her out for her early morning walk we still have alot of work to do. The pavements are quiet narrow so we are much closer to the road, I realise this will be the problem. Unfortunately I am not able to take her any where else in the morning as I am limited to time, on my own and have to take dog number 2 out after Anoushka. Any ideas how I can help her in this situation?
Sorry to go on but thought you may like to know how we are doing.
Thanks again for all the advice and support
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 01:40 PM
So glad to hear she is so much better than she was. Afraid I can't help with your other problem but hopefully perseverance will work in the end. I'm sure others will have more ideas. Its one problem, touch wood, I've never had to deal with.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Tracii View Post
Hi All
Thought I'd let you know how I'm doing with Anoushka and the car problem.
When I take the 2 dogs over the Chase, before we put them back in the car, we stand around and wait for cars. One of us will sit on the floor and the other will lean up the car to try and look natural and not bothered, whilst we chat to each other, completely ignoring the dogs. This has helped tremendously. Anoushka will watch the cars go past but not lunge and bark at them. Although if a motorbike goes by or a particularly noisy car she will react but not as aggressivley as previously. The gap between her and the road is about 6foot. When I take her out for her early morning walk we still have alot of work to do. The pavements are quiet narrow so we are much closer to the road, I realise this will be the problem. Unfortunately I am not able to take her any where else in the morning as I am limited to time, on my own and have to take dog number 2 out after Anoushka. Any ideas how I can help her in this situation?
Sorry to go on but thought you may like to know how we are doing.
Thanks again for all the advice and support
Do you feel her behaviour is based around being nervous? It sounds as if it is.

If so you need to do something called desensitising and counterconditioning, this is basically very gradual exposure to the trigger stimulus and should be at a level preferably where she doesn't react and then conditioning her to associating the thing she is not happy about, with something very nice. As you've had some success, what I'd suggest doing is to try associating the presence of traffic with something really pleasant for her, such as tasty liver or roast chicken.

One of my dogs was not very happ about traffic but he was always better if we were in between him and the traffic. If you consider how very sensitive dogs are to noise, plus all the smells, it must be a bit overwhelming
Good luck! :smt001
Tracii
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks Wysiwyg,I give lots of treats and loads of fuss when she ignores the cars going past. I do think it is fear of the cars. I used to walk her with a halti but stopped using it. When traffic went passed it must have felt to her that she was trapped. I know she is worse if the cars/bikes are noisy or when it has rained and the roads are wet. We will persivere and take as much time as she needs. I know that she will probably still dislike the cars/noise but as long as I know she will be safer and not lunge at them I will be happy.
Thanks again everyone for your help and support