View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 08:43 PM

Just when you thought it was safe to look on here - I'm back again!

Hi everyone, Mrs computer thicko here

Well we got a new computer yesterday and we also bought a router and a usb thingy to make daughters computer work on wireless. My laptop didn't need one because it is wireless ready already.

I have spent most of the morning setting everything up and my brain hurts now I hadn't a clue what I was doing or what I should be doing
Anyway we now have the main one on broadband plugged into the socket and the upstairs one and the laptop on wireless and all seem to be working fine.

I have just two little questions to ask.

If we turn the main computer off - but keep the router on can we still get broadband or does the main computer have to be on all the time we are on it.

Also something else made me wonder if I had done it right because it said something that other people could see what I was doing whilst on the net so does that mean that I shouldn't ever use a credit card on line (which I only do very rarely anyway) in case somebody sees it and is there a setting that stops this or is it just a drawback with broadband
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2005, 09:04 PM
if you leave the router on with the wireless you can use it without having your main computer on your wireless is opened to everybody who has a wireless near you about a range of up to about 300 meters you have to secure your wireless LAN so only your computer or for any computer you want to let them use it
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
if you leave the router on with the wireless you can use it without having your main computer on your wireless is opened to everybody who has a wireless near you about a range of up to about 300 meters you have to secure your wireless LAN so only your computer or for any computer you want to let them use it

How do I secure the computers that are on wireless then Fred - any ideas

Anyway wheres wifey tonight - is she worn out
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
How do I secure the computers that are on wireless then Fred - any ideas

Anyway wheres wifey tonight - is she worn out
plenty foxy first you open the instruction book and read how to put a key code in,, and then how to program the router for the MAC address which is much safer really it is not difficult you dial your router on exactly how you installed it through the explorer 192.168.?.? or what ever it was, then you can put in the information what you want. if you make a mistake no problem you can set the access point or router back to the original state. send me the details which router and access point you have and i will try and find the information for you ok wifey ? who is that
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 10:33 PM
plenty foxy first you open the instruction book and read how to put a key code in,, and then how to program the router for the MAC address which is much safer really it is not difficult you dial your router on exactly how you installed it through the explorer 192.168.?.? or what ever it was, then you can put in the information what you want. if you make a mistake no problem you can set the access point or router back to the original state. send me the details which router and access point you have and i will try and find the information for you ok wifey ? who is that

Hi Fred, think Jen is missing you - have you had a lovers tiff or something - Stewart is putting on his superman outfit to fly to Spain to sort you out - do you want me to come over as well to protect you

The router is a Belkin one but I don't know what you mean by access point

Haven't seen anything of your sister today - is everything okay with her I hope so and hope Cassie and Georgie are okay
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hi Fred, think Jen is missing you - have you had a lovers tiff or something - Stewart is putting on his superman outfit to fly to Spain to sort you out - do you want me to come over as well to protect you
The router is a Belkin one but I don't know what you mean by access point
Donīt know where she is ignoring me again

http://setup.belkin.com/guide.html just looked at it it has all you need in it
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Donīt know where she is ignoring me again

http://setup.belkin.com/guide.html just looked at it it has all you need in it

Thanks Fred - I will take a look

Jen and Bordercollierlvr are in another thread on off-topic, waiting for you to put in an appearance
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Foxy - when you go into the Belkin site, you need to set up encryption - this should make it safer.

I can use the Internet on my laptop with the main one off, but I can't see networked files that are on the drive.