Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
blkntanbull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Fussy raw eater

hi there, my king charles has always been a fussy eater and since he came to mine he's been on arden grange plus raw tripe etc.however at a recent club show one of the top breeders came up to us and she had already commented on him being on the lean side when she judged him,and said to take him off the dry food and put him on meat and mixer,as thats what most people in charlies feed.shortly after he unfortunately had a bad bout of gastroenteritis and lost a kilo,which really knocked him for six.he has since recovered and is currently on raw tripe with puppy meal which seems to suit his digestion. i've tried him with various raw meats(chicken,lamb) and also a raw mixture(meat,fruit,veg),but he refuses to eat that unless hand fed it (and sometimes it has given him the runs/upset tum).my question is could he thrive on tripe and mixer if he refuses to eat any other raw meat? he will eat most meat cooked.my other dogs all eat any raw meat/mixture and its odd he really dislikes all raw meat except tripe.advice appreciated please..
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Sorry to hear of the feeding troubles you've had, but great to hear that you have found something that works xx

Our bitch won't eat raw, she looks at it with disgust as if to say 'you WHAT, it's not even cooked, and what's that - BLOOD! omg! Yak! then she snorts and walks off!!' We've just decided she's too posh for raw!
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi there.
I would be inclined to feed some sort of all round multi vit supplement if that is all your dog will eat, because a mixer is only a mixer and not a nutritionally balanced complete feed.
Tripe is very good but again if this is the only meat source, it needs to be supplemented........thats just my opinion, I am no expert, tho I do only feed raw to mine.
Good luck
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
My lad Sam is fussy with his food and isn't totally keen on his raw food, but it makes his breath so much better and his skin not as flaky and itchy so I continue with it.

He really likes chicken wings and prefers lumps of meat to minced meat.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Have you been to the vets?? He may be missing out on something and some things actually make dogs eat less
I would go with a suppliment for a while and give him 3 small meals a day
I guess because he is on the slim side you are worrying if he skips one meal and are chopping and changingIf there is no medical reason why he isnt eating then try and be a little more matter of fact about his food - if he skips a meal dont make the next one something he likes and bigger

How about training (with treats) before feeding - to get his apitite started

If he really wont each anything but tripe and mixer how about swapping the mixer with a compleate kibble so you know he is getting something

How old is he??
blkntanbull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-06-2010, 02:51 PM
hiya, from apuppy he'd been on arden grange plus raw tripe,but as i said at the club show one of the top breeders in the country told us to take him off the dry food and put him on mixer or puppy meal and tripe/mince.his weight has stayed stable after the switch and once he'd got over the gastro enteritis and most people in the breed feed this way-mixer and tripe/mince.charlies as a breed don't seem fond of dry complete and i have tried to do the 15 minute thing and let the others eat his food if he walks away from it but until youv'e owned a charlie you don't understand they will rather go without,they are very strange little dogs.he's happily eating the puppy meal and tripe, but my question is even though the puppy meal contains vitamins a, c and d plus protein oil etc, will it be enough with tripe? other raw meats he will leave or eat around.he is full of beans and fine in every other aspect,its just i would like maybe a couple of pounds on him so he's well covered.as a side note he's too slim at present to be shown in pg as he'd look too weedy.i appreciate his breed/line are very slow to mature in body but even by his breeders admission, charlie boys can be awful to "body up".
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
The breeder was right to tell you to not add dry with the tripe, and to swap for a mixer, dry and raw shouldnt be fed together because of the difference in digestion rates.

when feeding raw you have to give a mixture of things, and make sure the dog is getting a balanced diet.
so other meats would need to be added, along side fruit/veg, eggs, fish and so on.

Raw is a great way to build a dog up in my opinion it worked well for us.

I know some one that does a part raw diet, part dry and that works really well for them..(They do not feed the two in the same meal though)!!

They do something like dry in the morning and tripe of an evening, and then through out the week give the odd veg/fruit or adding fish and eggs.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 10:19 PM
We have fed tripe with a complete dry food to the rescue dogs with great success regarding improving condition.

If you wish to put him on a raw diet I advise to introduce each individual meat one at a time, giving a week or two before introducing the next. This way you can tell which are causing any problems.

Meat alone will cause runny bums. Dogs need approx 80%meat, 10%bone, 10$organ. In my experiance smaller dogs need slightly higher bone amount, but each dog is different, these percentages are just a rough guide.

Also be careful not to overfeed (no matter what you are feeding) at each meal, other wise it just comes out the other end with no benifit to the dog.

Best of luck.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
The digestion rate for dry processed food is much longer than raw foods, so when fed together can cause digestive disturbances.. So should not be fed in the same meal, although alot of people fed the two in seperate meals..still each to our own..
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The digestion rate for dry processed food is much longer than raw foods, so when fed together can cause digestive disturbances.. So should not be fed in the same meal, although alot of people fed the two in seperate meals..still each to our own..
I'm pretty sure this is a myth, perpetuated by an author on raw feeding, I can't recall her name though. I'm sure others on here could explain better.

If in doubt, feed raw in one meal, kibble in the other, though in my experiance there has been no problem adding raw to kibble.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >