Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 07:44 PM

Ointment for elbow calluses?

I`m trying to decide on what to use for Shamus the Pointer`s callused elbows. I`ve looked at Camrosa, sudacreme and aloe vera gel but can`t make up my mind. Has anyone used these? Do they work?
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 09:49 AM
mum uses sudacrem on her BC callused elbows and seems to be working not as bad as they used to be.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I use Burts Bees Res-Q-Ointment on everything thats sore on the dogs and kids

my bichon had hotspots last year that would have needed steroid injections and cream - after 24 hours with the Res-Q there was an improvement, it was cleared within a week.

It contains comfrey root extract which helps with healing so dont know if it will help with calluses, its greasy like vaseline so it may soothe them.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Think the most importaint thing if you can manage it is to stop him laying on hard floors, vet bed or soft matress and the elbow damage will improve but I know it is difficult and the dam dogs don't listen to reason and turn your back and they are back on the paving stone.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Think the most importaint thing if you can manage it is to stop him laying on hard floors, vet bed or soft matress and the elbow damage will improve but I know it is difficult and the dam dogs don't listen to reason and turn your back and they are back on the paving stone.
This isn`t a problem because in fact Shamus refuses point blank to lie or even sit on hard surfaces! The damage was done before I got him (he was kennelled for a long time time and probably with no bedding)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 12:31 PM
There is hope it will slowly improve then, would think that any skin softner would help the surface but if there is fluid inside that will go given time.