View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
I have to say after flicking through this thread I am totally confused. Maybe its just me

I honestly cannot see why using high value treats would cause stress. Excitement, happiness and the dog knowing the person they love best is happy yes. Stress no

My dogs absolutely love working with me and earning their reward be it food, ball, play, praise.

I also have a limited experience of the shock collar method. We did once volunteer to do the kitchen for a local seminar with a trainer coming from abroad. The dogs there were trained with shock collars and electric sleeves. I did not see one happy dog. Nervous, cringing robots is the only way I can describe it. It was very upsetting.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
So you don't mind a dog who can't deal with situations, how interesting.

So I want robots (not) but you want dependants?

Adam
Ha... this from the man whos little dog is scared to move in the wrong way for fear of being zapped.

As I said before, your methods do not work and you posted the proof of that......end of!!!!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Reality id you just can't do that! Reality is you can - Iv done it! Sure if I can do it others can?! If you could there would be no badly trained dogs. Says who? Why?
Also when you say stuff like impatient and more time I just think that means they will end up doing the same things for ever with no progress, Or they just dont have the patience to train well from the start? Then they arent doing it right. THEY arent progressing, not the dog... Read any half decent book on conditioning and reinforcement and you will know that Adam. you just have to look around here to see people still struggling with DA/recall ect 6 months or a year after they first started, often several years. But many E-collar dogs will be stuck between a hard place and a rock, not 'cured'
Take an aggression problem, I just don't think its fair to force a dog to live with a lifetime of aggression issues because conventional approaches can't fix it. Neither do E-collars surley! (if assoiation dosnt work for positive it wont work for negative)Same with recall, everyone says that on lead dogs have a good life, yeah they can do. Not as good as an off lead dog. I agree but I didnt have to use an E-collar on mine to achieve it and thats a dog that could run a mile in seconds at one stage because he'd seen something...this is how I KNOW what I'm saying does work.Yeah people will walk their dog for 2/3 hours a day and run with it ect. That may satisfy it (may not though) spend the same time with the dog off lead and it will be much happier.

Adam
Granted some dogs need a free run each day not just going at the owners pace but that can also be achieved without an E-collar.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I have to say after flicking through this thread I am totally confused. Maybe its just me

I honestly cannot see why using high value treats would cause stress. Excitement, happiness and the dog knowing the person they love best is happy yes. Stress no

My dogs absolutely love working with me and earning their reward be it food, ball, play, praise.

I also have a limited experience of the shock collar method. We did once volunteer to do the kitchen for a local seminar with a trainer coming from abroad. The dogs there were trained with shock collars and electric sleeves. I did not see one happy dog. Nervous, cringing robots is the only way I can describe it. It was very upsetting.
Your not meant to get it Abbie That would be to assume that there was a logic behind anything that AP posts
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
No - I will take time to train my dogs to deal with situations. I have trained DA dogs (my own included) and fearful dogs...

However - I will not force the issue by making them fear something else more.

All dogs are dependent on us...so not quite sure what you are getting at there?.
I interpret that as not wanting the affection from them just a dog that will do whatever it is told and make the handler look 'in control' because its doing what its told? If you didnt want them to be dependant..

Adam, have you read any modern books on training through positive reinforcement and tried it properly at all?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I interpret that as not wanting the affection from them just a dog that will do whatever it is told and make the handler look 'in control' because its doing what its told? If you didnt want them to be dependant..
I guess so....bit incomprehensible to me.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Granted some dogs need a free run each day not just going at the owners pace but that can also be achieved without an E-collar.
Why should a dog have to suffer a restricted lifestyle because its owner isn't very good at positive training?

E collars are very simple to use, much easier that purely positive methods, they are also transferbale from person to person, so the dog obeys all family members not just the one whos done it all.

The proof that positive doesn't always work is all around you!

Adam
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
And Tassle too!

Because if you lower the excitment (by lowering value of treats) but train excatly the same (rate of reinforment ect) you get stress signals.

Adam
Adam, basic learning theory:

Positive reinforcement = adding something the dog finds pleasing causes the behaviour to increase

No ifs, buts, or grey areas. If it instead caused stress, the dog would not learn. If lowering the value or changing the reinforcement caused stress, no learning would take place so, quite simply, it would no longer be positive reinforcement.

If you find you are seeing stress signals, then something is going drastically wrong. I'm surprised that, as a trainer, you are seeing this in your own training.

Can I ask, when you introduce variable reinforcement, what do you do immediately after the behaviour is presented (the time when the reward has previously been forthcoming)?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Why should a dog have to suffer a restricted lifestyle because its owner isn't very good at training?

Adam
Adam, if you take a look around yourself you will realise there will be people who train using an E-collar and it dosnt work, if they cannot get timing right with a clicker, think of the damage done with bad timing and an E-collar!

If they get stressed and start buzzing away instead of shouting how much more damage is that to the dog?!

Someone with bad timing, bad tone, bad body language but has patience will still have a better dog than someone with all the above and no patience to spend on training effort.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Why should a dog have to suffer a restricted lifestyle because its owner isn't very good at positive training?

E collars are very simple to use, much easier that purely positive methods, they are also transferbale from person to person, so the dog obeys all family members not just the one whos done it all.

Adam
What could be more simpler to use than a whistle? And guess what? They are transferable from person to person.
Easy to train as well.

I know which one the dog would choose if it had a choice!
Closed Thread
Page 63 of 98 « First < 13 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 > Last »