Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Dr Fogle and the Puggle

In a monthly dog magazine Bruce Fogle sees a positive slant on the combining of two pedigree breeds - any views?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 02:46 PM
no one?

i think he made some valid points?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:54 PM

will that do x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Can you give us a link to the article? It's impossible to comment sensibly on something I haven't read.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

will that do x
perfect haha

- ill start all my threads a bit juicier next time, these general discussion ones are just so dull haha -
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Can you give us a link to the article? It's impossible to comment sensibly on something I haven't read.
haha yeah would help - i gave it to someone to scan and shes taken it home for the train journey

So the jist of it is that someone moaned to bruce fogle while walking their dogs on the local park about the emergance of puggles - pugs crossed with beagles - and dr fogle said that despite his affection for pugs ( his surgery has always had a resident one ) he knew they were prone to a lot of need for treatment primarily their eyes and went on to say that while researching his new book, he found archive pictures of pugs in history that more resembled the puggle the pug enthusiast was moaning about> Therefore he couldnt necessarily criticse it.

Thats the condensed overall idea of the article anyway and I wanted to know other peoples thoughts ?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:12 PM
When I was a kid, we had two pekinese. Their difficulty breathing always distressed me, and I could never understand why such a dog would be bred to extremes where it's difficult to breathe. I still can't, TBH. I think it's a similar situation with Shar Pei's who, although brilliant dogs, are prone to skin problems.

As for crossbreeds (mongrels, let's face it) I am of the opinion (and it's MY opinion) that they tend to be healthier than purebred dogs.

I have Shibas, and love them to bits, but I have had three die at 9 years old. The breed should go to around 15, and I know of one who's 17 years old.

I had a lab cross, brought home from Battersea Dogs Home who was around for 17 glorious years.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
When I was a kid, we had two pekinese. Their difficulty breathing always distressed me, and I could never understand why such a dog would be bred to extremes where it's difficult to breathe. I still can't, TBH. I think it's a similar situation with Shar Pei's who, although brilliant dogs, are prone to skin problems.

As for crossbreeds (mongrels, let's face it) I am of the opinion (and it's MY opinion) that they tend to be healthier than purebred dogs.

I have Shibas, and love them to bits, but I have had three die at 9 years old. The breed should go to around 15, and I know of one who's 17 years old.

I had a lab cross, brought home from Battersea Dogs Home who was around for 17 glorious years.
there was another vet in the same magazine who basically made the same point as you
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I would prefer the breeders to breed healthier pugs etc than crossing them with anything else.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I would prefer the breeders to breed healthier pugs etc than crossing them with anything else.
and do you think they would have to tweak the breed standard to do this? change the eyes slightly ? breathing mechanisms etc?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >